"The Pineapple Island" Lanai by H-TownJourneyman
Lanai Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 140 photos
Having only spent one day here, my experiences on The Pineapple Island were unfortunately limited. But the time that I did have on Lana'i was quite fun, and I hope one day to return here for a much longer stay. Lana'i's nickname as The Pineapple Island dates back to when James Dole purchased the island in 1922 and made it into the world's largest pineapple plantation. For over 70 years it was operated as such, at one time supplying almost 75% of the world's pineapples! After decades of functioning primarily as a pineapple plantation, only 100 acres of land on Lana'i are still used to grow pineapples. Now the majority of the island's income comes from tourism. WIth some fabulous resorts, endless unspoiled beaches, and a drier climate than many other locations in Hawaii, Lana'i is becoming more and more of a draw for vacationers looking to experience Hawaiian paradise on a more low key basis.
In The Shadows, But Emerging
Because of it's long-time private ownership as a pineapple plantation, only recently has Lana'i been a destination for more than a handful of tourists. Bigger brothers O'ahu, Maui, Kaua'i, and the Big Island have well-established tourism industries on their respective shores. But to me, this is what makes this island such a nice place to visit. Less touristy = More tranquility. True Lana'i may not offer the towering waterfalls or lush rain forests that the other islands have in abundance. But to many people the uncrowded beaches and slower pace here is a much better compromise!
H-TownJourneyman's Related Pages
Lanai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "This was an amazing surprise"
- "Two Days in Lana'i"
- "Pineapple City or the Porkchop Island"
- "The Pineapple Island"
- "Lanai city monkey"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lanai
- Hotels in Lanai
- Transportation in Lanai
- Nightlife in Lanai
- Restaurants in Lanai
- Warnings and Dangers in Lanai
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lanai
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Lanai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lanai
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 101 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Intro, 102 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galveston Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alanya Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Oahu Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Turkey Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Antalya Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
Top Lanai hotels
- Lanai City Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 35 Photos