"Serpentine Jarrahdale" Serpentine by 2Cities1Love
Serpentine Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 56 photos
Serpentine Jarrahdale Shire forms the northern part of WA's Peel Region and is just a one hour drive south of Perth. It is a thriving agricultural and rural lifestyle district.
The Shire is 905km2, has a population of 11,120 (2001 Census) and townsites and localities include Byford, Serpentine, Jarrahdale, Oakford, Oldbury, Mundijong, Mardella, Karrakup, Whitby, Keysbrook, Cardup, Hopeland and Darling Downs.
The Serpentine Falls National Park, (off Southwest Highway Serpentine) Serpentine Dam, Pipehead Dam, Langford and Gooralong Parks at Jarrahdale are some of the popular picnic spots in the area with BBQ and seating for a relaxing family day out.
Serpentine Jarrahdale Shire has its roots in the early years of the Swan River settlement. In 1840 Thomas Peel became the first European settler in the district when he established the Serpentine Farm on the banks of the Serpentine River, in the middle of his 250,000 acre land grant.
In 1872, the timber industry began at Jarrahdale and timber was taken by rail to Rockingham for export. This important industry attracted labour and boosted the economy as subsistence farming never could – until 1893.
From 1893, the railway linked Perth and Pinjarra allowing milk and fresh produce to be sent daily to Perth. Subsequently, numerous new town sites developed at stations along the government railway line at Beenup (Byford), Cardup, Jarrahdale Junction (Mundijong), Mardella, Serpentine and Keysbrook.
The Serpentine Jarrahdale is most noted for the Serpentine National Park and in particular the Serpentine Falls.
The Falls, which cascade over a sheer granite face, abounds with the scenic beauty of ancient landforms and verdant forest. These features, together with its close proximity to Perth, have attracted visitors for almost 100 years. It is also a sanctuary for an array of plants and animals.
Be careful if you are climbing on the rocks as they can become slippery when they are wet. more travel advice
Unless you pack your own food/picnic the Roadhouse is about it as far as buying a feed. more travel advice
2Cities1Love's Related Pages
Serpentine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Serpentine"
- "Serpentine Jarrahdale"
- "A day trip to Serpentine Falls"
- "Serpentine Falls and the natural surroundings"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Serpentine
- Transportation in Serpentine
- Nightlife in Serpentine
- Restaurants in Serpentine
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Serpentine
- 5 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Serpentine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Serpentine
Top 10 Pages
- Perth Intro, 7 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Queenstown Intro, 7 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mordialloc Intro, 3 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Doubtful Sound Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rockingham Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Te Anau Intro, 6 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Juneau Intro, 4 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ketchikan Intro, 2 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues