"Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park by travelfrosch
Shenandoah National Park Travel Guide: 169 reviews and 567 photos
It was a sunny and warm November morning, so we decided to make the 90-minute trip to Shenandoah National Park. While I had driven through the valley before, I'd never been to the park itself. The fall foliage was past peak, but still spectacular.
Skyline Drive is a 105-mile (about 170 km) mountain road that snakes its way along a ridge line, affording tremendous views of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Shenandoah River (hmm... why is a John Denver tune suddenly in my head? :). The road is entirely within Shenandoah National Park, which requires a fee to enter.
We entered on the north end, just outside of Front Royal, Virginia. After showing our National Parks Pass, we entered Skyline Drive and made our way southward. After a brief stop at the Shenandoah Valley Overlook (the northernmost of 75 "Overlooks," or places to get off the road and take in the views), we continued on to the Visitor Center just past Milepost 4.
We were just making a day trip, so we asked for advice on a good 3 hour hike. The ranger suggested we continue just past Milepost 21 and make a 5.2 mile loop hike along a part of the Appalachian trail and the Sugar Loaf trail.
At Milepost 21, the Hogback Overlook, the highest altitude overlook in the northern part of the park, offers magnificent views of the surrounding mountains. We stopped briefly and then took our hike.
As we returned to our car and headed back towards Front Royal, we pulled over several times at various overlooks and took in some more views.
In addition to the rectangles of various colors you will see on trees and rocks, you will also see posts at... more travel advice
This is the highest and most scenic overlook in the northern portion of the park. Hogback Overlook is at an elevation of... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Shenandoah National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park"
- "Shenandoah National Park, VA"
- "A Thin slice of country"
- "Worth a visit even in a foggy day!"
- "SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK"
- "Shenandoah National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shenandoah National Park
- Hotels in Shenandoah National Park
- Transportation in Shenandoah National Park
- Nightlife in Shenandoah National Park
- Restaurants in Shenandoah National Park
- Shopping in Shenandoah National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Shenandoah National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shenandoah National Park
- 20 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (122)
Have you been to Shenandoah National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shenandoah National Park
- Posted in Travel Boston Forum "Re: How to avoid terrible..."
- updated a Shenandoah National Park Travel Page "Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park"
- Wrote a Review Trail Markers in Shenandoah National Park Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mount Marshall Overlook"
- Commented on one of mtncorg's Shenandoah National Park travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 50 reviews, 184 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 28 reviews, 98 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Porto Intro, 20 reviews, 72 photos