"Oasis in the Suburban Sprawl" Occoquan by travelfrosch

Occoquan Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 94 photos

Welcome to Occoquan

Nestled between a sewage treatmant plant and a major bridge construction project, Occoquan works hard to draw visitors' gazes into town, rather than around it. It does quite well, with a pleasant main street, many shops, a riverwalk (of sorts), and nice restaurants.

Nature... of sorts...

Looking around town, you can see that this area was once very beautiful. Unfortunately, the realities of densely-populated northern Virginia have encroached upon the natural aspect of the environs. Still, you can look upstream toward the Occoquan Reservoir and imagine yourself in an unspoiled landscape (if you squint a bit).

Mini-VT Meet at Belgique Gourmande

Sara and I met Mark (mtncorg) as he was working his way through Virginia and Pennsylvania on vacation. We met at Prince William Forest Park and worked our way to Occoquan. After a stroll around town, we stopped to have dinner at Belgique Gourmande.

Before we went, we read wanings from fellow VTers about this place being a "tourist trap." However, after reading other reviews (and learning it was under new management), we decided to give it a try anyway. Mark hit it off with co-owner Roxana, while husband Lewin invited us to try their new Leffe beer on tap. All in all, a nice evening.

• Last visit to Occoquan: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 29, 2006

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2010 at 11:59 AM

When my friend and I went to the Belgian Gourmande, they had a sign in the window that said you had to order a full meal. (We just wanted a dessert.) That was snooty. I hadn't seen a restaurant before or since with that requirement.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2007 at 6:18 PM

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Finally got to Belgique Gourmande last night. Rita's sister was in DC for buisness. We really enjoyed it! I had the moules frites with the potato leek soup and a fine glass of Leffe.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2007 at 6:28 AM

looks a nice little hiking place and a VT meet too

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2006 at 1:46 PM

A good time had by all :-] Wishing I had one of those Leffe's right now!

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Occoquan

Have you been to Occoquan?

Latest Activity in Occoquan