"Oasis in the Suburban Sprawl" Occoquan by travelfrosch
Occoquan Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 94 photos
Nestled between a sewage treatmant plant and a major bridge construction project, Occoquan works hard to draw visitors' gazes into town, rather than around it. It does quite well, with a pleasant main street, many shops, a riverwalk (of sorts), and nice restaurants.
Looking around town, you can see that this area was once very beautiful. Unfortunately, the realities of densely-populated northern Virginia have encroached upon the natural aspect of the environs. Still, you can look upstream toward the Occoquan Reservoir and imagine yourself in an unspoiled landscape (if you squint a bit).
Sara and I met Mark (mtncorg) as he was working his way through Virginia and Pennsylvania on vacation. We met at Prince William Forest Park and worked our way to Occoquan. After a stroll around town, we stopped to have dinner at Belgique Gourmande.
Before we went, we read wanings from fellow VTers about this place being a "tourist trap." However, after reading other reviews (and learning it was under new management), we decided to give it a try anyway. Mark hit it off with co-owner Roxana, while husband Lewin invited us to try their new Leffe beer on tap. All in all, a nice evening.
This restaurant offers a good variety of Belgian cuisine with an impressive selection of Belgian beer. Sit inside the... more travel advice
If it's a nice day, take advantage of the opportunity to wander around. Admire the architecture and unique designs.... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Occoquan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "OCCOQUAN-translates from a Dogue Indian word"
- "A unique town by the river"
- "Oasis in the Suburban Sprawl"
- "Occoquan is at the end of the water"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Occoquan
- Transportation in Occoquan
- Restaurants in Occoquan
- Shopping in Occoquan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Occoquan
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Occoquan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Occoquan
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 44 reviews, 162 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 82 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues