"The Sixth Borough" Yonkers by travelfrosch
Yonkers Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 74 photos
Just north of New York City along the Hudson River is the city of Yonkers. For the most part, it is virtually indistinguishable from New York -- so much so, the city has earned the nickname "the sixth borough." Believe it or not, this nickname almost came to pass. In 1934, there was a proposal to incorporate Yonkers into New York City as the sixth borough. Another brief flirtation with the idea occurred in the 1970s in association with a proposed extension of the New York subway into Yonkers.
During my brief time in the area, I've discovered two distinct sections of Yonkers worthy of exploration by tourists: first is the revitalized waterfront, home to pricey restaurants and bars with fine views. Second is the downtown area, vibrantly alive and full of diverse (and cheap) eateries.
Please be patient as I slowly add content! 8)
Along the Waterfront, you almost wouldn't realize you're in a city (well, OK, the frequent Metro North trains lumbering by might give it away...). Right along the promenade, you can find quite a bit of wildlife, especially water fowl. The Canadian Geese make themselves especially apparent.
Yonkers has received notoriety for its featured role in a book called "World War Z" by Max Brooks. I haven't read the book, but apparently the United Sates Army made its last stand in Yonkers against an army of flesh-eating zombies from New York (undoubtedly Yankee fans). As you can probably guess from the illustration, the zombies won.
A gourmet restaurant in Yonkers? Believe it. Renowned chef Peter X. Kelly, originally from Yonkers, opened this... more travel advice
In Yonkers, you can get pizza. Very good pizza. Some might even say "Famous" Pizza. Singas Pizza opened in 1967 in the... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Yonkers Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Sixth Borough"
- "Bonkers in Yonkers"
- "divadsirrah's new Yonkers Page"
- "tulip100's new Yonkers Page"
- "Going Bonkers in Yonkers...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yonkers
- Transportation in Yonkers
- Nightlife in Yonkers
- Restaurants in Yonkers
- Shopping in Yonkers
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yonkers
- 5 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Yonkers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yonkers
Photos in YonkersSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 44 reviews, 162 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 82 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (100)
Latest Yonkers hotel reviews
- Ramada Inn Yonkers
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013