Boston Favorite Tips by travelfrosch

Boston Favorites: 215 reviews and 241 photos

Minifrosch takes in the playground - Boston

Minifrosch takes in the playground

Castle Island

Fondest memory: I remember as a child going to my Grandmother's house and then heading out to Castle Island. I was always thrilled at even the thought of going to Grandma's house, because it meant I could visit the wonderful playground and huge beach there. Now that I come back as an adult, I realize that maybe the playground wasn't so magnificent, nor was the beach as huge as I remembered. And now, Minifrosch sometimes goes with his grandmother to play in some of the same places her grandfather took her when she was a girl.

The playground has been rebuilt in the 30+ years since I played there, but they left a few of the old animals, perhaps for sentimental reasons.

• Updated Sep 25, 2013
Red Auerbach - Boston

Red Auerbach

Red Auerbach

Fondest memory: On October 28, 2006, Arnold "Red" Auerbach, the patriarch of the Boston Celtics, passed away. He was the architect of the Celtics basketball dynasty in the 1960s, as well as the man responsible for bringing Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Dennis Johnson, and Danny Ainge to the Green for their championship runs in the 1980s. He was also responsible for bringing one of the first black players in the NBA (Bill Russell) to then-racist Boston (Interestingly, if the Red Sox had such courage in 1946, they could have had Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, and Roberto Clemente on the same team... but I digress...), then a few years later making the controversial move of elevating Russell to Player/Coach. Incredibly, just 20 years later, Auerbach was acccused of being racist for fielding a predominantly white team in the 1980s. Auerbach made a classic response: "Most teams (in the NBA) have a bunch of black players being led by a white coach. The Celtics have a bunch of white players being led by a black coach (K.C. Jones). Now you tell me who's being racist!"

Red, thanks for the championships, for the history, and for simply being yourself against all of the naysayers. You will be sorely missed.

• Updated Feb 3, 2008

travelfrosch Lives Here!

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Boston