Boston Favorite Tips by travelfrosch
Boston Favorites: 215 reviews and 241 photos
Minifrosch takes in the playground
Fondest memory: I remember as a child going to my Grandmother's house and then heading out to Castle Island. I was always thrilled at even the thought of going to Grandma's house, because it meant I could visit the wonderful playground and huge beach there. Now that I come back as an adult, I realize that maybe the playground wasn't so magnificent, nor was the beach as huge as I remembered. And now, Minifrosch sometimes goes with his grandmother to play in some of the same places her grandfather took her when she was a girl.
The playground has been rebuilt in the 30+ years since I played there, but they left a few of the old animals, perhaps for sentimental reasons.
Fondest memory: On October 28, 2006, Arnold "Red" Auerbach, the patriarch of the Boston Celtics, passed away. He was the architect of the Celtics basketball dynasty in the 1960s, as well as the man responsible for bringing Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Dennis Johnson, and Danny Ainge to the Green for their championship runs in the 1980s. He was also responsible for bringing one of the first black players in the NBA (Bill Russell) to then-racist Boston (Interestingly, if the Red Sox had such courage in 1946, they could have had Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, and Roberto Clemente on the same team... but I digress...), then a few years later making the controversial move of elevating Russell to Player/Coach. Incredibly, just 20 years later, Auerbach was acccused of being racist for fielding a predominantly white team in the 1980s. Auerbach made a classic response: "Most teams (in the NBA) have a bunch of black players being led by a white coach. The Celtics have a bunch of white players being led by a black coach (K.C. Jones). Now you tell me who's being racist!"
Red, thanks for the championships, for the history, and for simply being yourself against all of the naysayers. You will be sorely missed.
More Reviews (17)
- See All New England Aquarium
- See All Spectacle Island
- See All The T: Tickets and Tourist Cards
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Boston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BOSTON KALEIDOSCOPE AND ITS CAST OF COLORS…"
- "IF HOME IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS-THEN I LIVE HERE"
- "The Perfect Weekend Away City"
- "Boston in a Nutshell"
- "Boston Features the Old and New"
- "Boston, baby!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Boston
- Hotels in Boston
- Transportation in Boston
- Nightlife in Boston
- Restaurants in Boston
- Shopping in Boston
- Warnings and Dangers in Boston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Boston
- 19 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 36 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (91)
Have you been to Boston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Boston
- Posted in Travel Rockport Forum "Re: does anyone know if it is..."
- Commented on the Boston travel guide
- Uploaded a Photo to "JFK Library and Museum"
- Commented on one of travelfrosch's Boston tips
- Wrote a Review New England Aquarium about New England Aquarium in Boston Things to Do
- updated a Boston Travel Page "Shippin' Up To Boston"
- Uploaded a Video to Boston
Photos in BostonSee All Photos (65)
Videos in BostonSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 46 reviews, 168 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (103)
- Faneuil Hall - Quincy Market- 78 Reviews, 134 Photos
- Freedom Trail- 109 Reviews, 187 Photos
- Beacon Hill & Charles Street- 41 Reviews, 83 Photos
- Fenway Park- 48 Reviews, 115 Photos
- Public Garden- 49 Reviews, 113 Photos
- USS Constitution - Charlestown Navy Yard- 48 Reviews, 91 Photos
- Boston Common- 69 Reviews, 119 Photos
- Harvard Square - Harvard University- 43 Reviews, 72 Photos
- North End- 41 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Copley Square- 21 Reviews, 45 Photos
See All Boston Things to Do