"Shippin' Up To Boston" Boston by travelfrosch

Boston Travel Guide: 3,821 reviews and 8,120 photos

Welcome to Boston

After more than 21 years wandering the country and the world, I'm finally coming home. Over the next few months, my family and I will be making the move back to the place I was born. On this page, I'll try to share some information on this historical, walkable, un-drivable, and when it comes down to it... my home town.

A Walkable City

The driving in Boston is... shall we say, a bit of a challenge. Public transport is OK, but has its quirks. The good news is, Boston is very compact and is ideal for walking. If you know where to go, there are lots of nice walking paths near water.

Castle Island

One place not many people know about is Castle Island. Situated in South Boston, across the harbor from Governor's Island (the current location of Logan Airport), it offers a nice park for grilling, many walking trails, a small playground, a modest beach, and a Colonial era British fort -- re-named Fort Independence some time after said independence came to pass. If you arrive at the right time, you might meet a certain local volunteer who will cheerfully fill you in on the fort's history.

Enjoy the page!

Mark

• Last visit to Boston: May 2013
  • Intro Updated May 18, 2013

Travelogues (1)

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM

A nice little page on Boston, Mark :) Say hi to your family from me :)

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
      Sep 26, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Thanks for your visit, Regina! Sara and Minifrosch are doing fine. Cheers, Mark

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Hi Mark, I’m glad to see you’ve moved to Boston. Have you been to the Boston Lyric Opera yet? One of my cousins is a subscriber, and a friend of mine conducted a series of opera performances there in 2010. I like the looks of the JFK Library and Museum.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2011 at 8:46 AM

So we can expect updates here :-) Good to see that there is already some beer available and with the family being happy to look after sweet Ryan, Sara and you will be able to explore more beer places :-) Oh, yes, good old Logan Airport. Used it many times in the past, including the tunnel...

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2011 at 4:48 PM

LOL, about the landmines. That is so true. Love the memorials and all the lovely statues. Boston looks fun! Nice page!

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Interesting tips of Boston. Thanks for sharing.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2007 at 5:44 AM

Man, you were up late for that ending. Don't you hate that? I can remember staying up past 1am watching my team lose in OT in the Stanley Cup playoffs. It sucks to go to bed mad and even worse getting up the next morning!

• ellielou's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2007 at 5:55 PM

listened to parts of the game while driving around...left off around 3rd inning, came back at btm of 9th, and couldn't believe my ears...I almost crashed....and STOP GLOATING! (you should have heard the announcer, too!) ;-o

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Bring back memories of Boston. Hay Market, John Hancock, Cambridge, Charles River, Combat Zone. Nice page. Cheers, SL

• KarenandCory's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2006 at 6:21 AM

I must visit Castle Island. Nice tips!!

travelfrosch Lives Here!

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Boston