"Amherst and the Quabbin Reservoir" Top 5 Page for this destination Amherst by travelfrosch
Amherst Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 55 photos
Nestled in the Berkshire Hills of western Massachusetts, Amherst is at the center of what is known as the "5-college area." While only 3 of the colleges are actually located in Amherst (The University of Massachusetts, Amherst College, and Hampshire College), two other colleges are located nearby (Smith College and Mount Holyoke University). As a result, the usual trappings of what you might expect in a college town are present. But drive just a few miles out of town, and it's not at all hard to find some breathtaking views.
One of the best "natural" places to visit in the area is actually a man-made lake called the Quabbin Reservoir. The Quabbin, which serves as the water supply for Boston and eastern Massachusetts, actually used to be a valley until 1938, when the area was dammed and flooded. State Police take great precautions to ensure that pesky terrorists don't sully this vital water supply. However, it appears boats are allowed on the reservoir. Maybe my parents should double-check their water filter...
I have a great desire to visit here frequently, but that is in no way influenced by the fact that my in-laws live here. ;)
The primary means of public transportation to and from Amherst is the Peter Pan bus. This private regional bus line,... more travel advice
One of the most beautiful places to visit in the Quabbin Reservoir area is the Enfield Overlook. This area affords views... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Amherst Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amherst and the Quabbin Reservoir"
- "Amherst: Home to the Five Colleges"
- "Amherst: My home town"
- "Tchr's Amherst Page"
- "mac_man's new Amherst Page"
- "Amherst as a Grad Student"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amherst
- Hotels in Amherst
- Transportation in Amherst
- Restaurants in Amherst
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amherst
- 8 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Amherst?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amherst
- Posted in Travel Canton de Vaud Forum "Re: Traveling around in the..."
- Wrote a Review Valley Transporter to Bradley Airport in Amherst Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Peter Pan Bus"
- Commented on one of travelfrosch's Amherst travel pages
- updated a Amherst Travel Page "Amherst and the Quabbin Reservoir"
- Uploaded a Video to Amherst
Photos in AmherstSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 44 reviews, 162 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues