"The Paradise of Sheep and Birds" Mykines by travelfrosch

Mykines Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 105 photos

Welcome to Mykines

Legend has it that when St Brendan charted an island he labeled "The Paradise of Sheep and Birds," he was referring to Mykines. Even if he wasn't, the label is most certainly apt. Breathtaking hikes and birdwatching opportunities abound. During the summer, it is possible to visit this island as a day-trip from Tórshavn. It is also possible to stay overnight on the island... if you book far enough in advance.

This island is for the birds! :-)

Once you get to Mykines, you can walk up the steep path on the west side of town. Once you get to the ridge, turn left and follow the path. Before long, you'll find yourself right in the middle of puffin. LOTS of puffin.

...and a few sheep

Yes, you'll run across a sheep or two in your travels. These two have a cozy vista of quite a scenic landscape.

• Pros:Spectacular scenery and thousands of puffin!
  • Cons:You can get stranded in bad weather
  • In a nutshell:Our favorite destination of the trip
  • Last visit to Mykines: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 12, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Hi Mark, good to see you online. I’ve never been to the Faroe Islands, but they certainly look rugged and windy. I enjoyed your photos and descriptions of the birds and animals and of course the Indiana Jones bridge.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Stunning scenery and such vivid colours. Wonderful.

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2008 at 7:35 PM

What a beautiful place!Excellent tips!Should not like this Island because they beat Austria once in football(which was quite a shame:-))))))Would love to take fotos of the puffins and hike around this lovely place!!!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2008 at 2:44 AM

Excellent stuff, impressive photos and script.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2008 at 5:26 PM

We enjoyed your Mykines pages. It looks like a fascinating place to visit.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2007 at 8:32 AM

Beautiful and remote Island with stunning scenery would do for me = would love to visit but the bridge and fried puffin would be off limits to me!!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2007 at 12:06 PM

watching the puffins and chasing them with my camera I would do for hours on such a beautiful place !

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2007 at 2:35 AM

What a wonderful page! This island seems to be a paradise for bird watchers! I would love to go there once, but I'm not sure if I could manage the bridge.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2007 at 9:53 PM

Wow...nice tips on Faroe Islands. Great photography. I like the Indiana bridge and puffins.... SL :)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2007 at 12:50 AM

Ahh, puffins !! You mean I could see a lot of puffins there ? They are adorable, but haha, not on my plate :-)) I like that Indyyyyyy bridge and yes, this island should go to my off path album, don't you think ?

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Mykines

Have you been to Mykines?

Latest Activity in Mykines