"The Paradise of Sheep and Birds" Mykines by travelfrosch
Mykines Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 105 photos
Legend has it that when St Brendan charted an island he labeled "The Paradise of Sheep and Birds," he was referring to Mykines. Even if he wasn't, the label is most certainly apt. Breathtaking hikes and birdwatching opportunities abound. During the summer, it is possible to visit this island as a day-trip from Tórshavn. It is also possible to stay overnight on the island... if you book far enough in advance.
Once you get to Mykines, you can walk up the steep path on the west side of town. Once you get to the ridge, turn left and follow the path. Before long, you'll find yourself right in the middle of puffin. LOTS of puffin.
Yes, you'll run across a sheep or two in your travels. These two have a cozy vista of quite a scenic landscape.
- Pros:Spectacular scenery and thousands of puffin!
- Cons:You can get stranded in bad weather
- In a nutshell:Our favorite destination of the trip
If you really want to see a puffin up close, come to Mykines. Scratch that: if you want to see LOTS of puffin up close,... more travel advice
Be aware this island is quite remote, and the ferry harbor is not exactly storm-proof. A good southwesterly gale can... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Mykines Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Paradise of Sheep and Birds"
- "The most beautiful day on the Faroe Islands"
- "A Plethora of Puffin!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mykines
- Hotels in Mykines
- Transportation in Mykines
- Restaurants in Mykines
- Warnings and Dangers in Mykines
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mykines
- 16 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Mykines?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mykines
Photos in MykinesSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 44 reviews, 162 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 82 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues