"The Little Capital City That Could" Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn by travelfrosch

Tórshavn Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 339 photos

Thor's Harbor

The Faroe Islands are currently an autonomous region of the Kingdom of Denmark. If the Faroes ever became an independent nation, Tórshavn, with a population of just under 20,000, could become the world's smallest capital city. Nevertheless, it has a surprising variety of services available, from restaurants to shops to international ferry connections. Truly a cosomopolitan city... er, town.

The Harbor

One of the first things you can do when you arrive by bus or ferry is to wander along the harbor. Head to the western side of the harbor, and get a fine view of the west side of Tórshavn, including the distinctive copper dome of the Vesturkirkja.

Hiking or Strolling

Tórshavn is a wonderful hub for a number of hikes, but there are also opportunities for less strenuous strolling. Since I experienced Tummy Trouble (Part 2) the last few days of my stay, long hikes were not an option. Still, we got some fine views.

• Last visit to Tórshavn: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 22, 2007

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Mark, excellent little page about Torshavn. I especially like your transportation and accommodation tips. - Thanks for having a look at my Guimaraes page.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2011 at 2:44 PM

an interesting page and great pics bringing back great memories !

• cheesecake17's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I am reading "last places" by lawrence millman..Its great to put images to words.. thanks for sharing..ursula

• paulhanson's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2010 at 2:58 AM

Seems like a destination for determined travellers

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2010 at 12:20 PM

This has so much charm, I would have thought some country would have claimed it by now. You did a great job of explaining the sites and beauty of the island. Thank you for the input.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM

I never really jheard of Torshavn -- wow, these places you go to Mark, hehehe...Are you sure you're now Scandinavian ? Norman :) --- wow, they also have a hostel...

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2008 at 6:49 PM

great tips!

• gordonilla's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Thanks for the message - the reason for the MNarch visit was that I could, and infact the weather was fine and it was quite a pleasant trip. The only down was that everything on Nolsoy was shut on the Sunday - even though they were advertsied as open.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2008 at 5:47 AM

Excellent information, especially about transportation, and great pictures. I would love to visit the Natural History museum, but I'd prefer to meet the polar bear behind a glass case. He's huge!!

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Faroe Islands, huh? I may need to add them to my wish list.

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Tórshavn

Have you been to Tórshavn?

Latest Activity in Tórshavn