"The Little Capital City That Could" Top 5 Page for this destination Tˇrshavn by travelfrosch
Tˇrshavn Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 343 photos
The Faroe Islands are currently an autonomous region of the Kingdom of Denmark. If the Faroes ever became an independent nation, Tˇrshavn, with a population of just under 20,000, could become the world's smallest capital city. Nevertheless, it has a surprising variety of services available, from restaurants to shops to international ferry connections. Truly a cosomopolitan city... er, town.
One of the first things you can do when you arrive by bus or ferry is to wander along the harbor. Head to the western side of the harbor, and get a fine view of the west side of Tˇrshavn, including the distinctive copper dome of the Vesturkirkja.
Tˇrshavn is a wonderful hub for a number of hikes, but there are also opportunities for less strenuous strolling. Since I experienced Tummy Trouble (Part 2) the last few days of my stay, long hikes were not an option. Still, we got some fine views.
A nice day trip is to take the ferry Ritan to the island of Nˇlsoy. While just a few minutes away by boat, Nˇlsoy... more travel advice
This pleasant park is about a 10-minute walk north of the harbor on R.C. Evers°es G°ta. You'll see trees and a stone... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Tˇrshavn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Little Capital City That Could"
- "Tˇrshavn - Europes Forgotten Capital"
- "Torshavn - Capital of the Faroe Islands"
- "At last, I have managed to get to the FŠroes"
- ""The smallest capital city in the world""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tˇrshavn
- Hotels in Tˇrshavn
- Transportation in Tˇrshavn
- Restaurants in Tˇrshavn
- Shopping in Tˇrshavn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tˇrshavn
- 20 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (123)
Have you been to Tˇrshavn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tˇrshavn
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 50 reviews, 184 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 28 reviews, 98 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tˇrshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Porto Intro, 20 reviews, 72 photos