Akureyri Off The Beaten Path Tips by travelfrosch Top 5 Page for this destination
Akureyri Off The Beaten Path: 2 reviews and 2 photos
Sara enjoying a Hrísey view
Hrísey, Iceland's second largest island, is situated right in the middle of the incredibly beautiful Eyjafjörður. While you can stay on the island (it has a guesthouse and a camp site), you can also make a day-trip of it from Akureyri. If you have a car, you only need to drive to Árskógssandur, park, and take the ferry to the island. If you don't have a car, it's a bit more complicated, though you can take Strætó Bus 78 to Árskógssandur, then transfer to the ferry. Be sure to double-check all bus schedules at the Akureyri tourist office before you depart, as timetables tend to change frequently and without prior notice.
Once you get to Hrísey, enjoy the magnificent mountains and water to be seen in every direction. There are quite a few hiking paths to enjoy, though you must be vigilant if you want to stay on the paths. Follow the trail markers (multi-colored rectangular posts) rather than what looks to be a trail.
For more information on Hrísey, take a look at my Hrísey page.
More Reviews (25)
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Akureyri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH."
- "The Cornfield on the Sand Bar"
- "A City Surrounded By Fjords !"
- "Akureyri - random pictures."
- "Akureyri as I saw it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akureyri
- Hotels in Akureyri
- Transportation in Akureyri
- Nightlife in Akureyri
- Restaurants in Akureyri
- Shopping in Akureyri
- Warnings and Dangers in Akureyri
- See All...
Explore the World
- Reims Off The Beaten Path
- Goa Off The Beaten Path
- Indianapolis Off The Beaten Path
- Seoul Off The Beaten Path
- Barranquilla Off The Beaten Path
- Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre Basilica
- Oakland Off The Beaten Path
- Provincetown Off The Beaten Path
- Pokhara Off The Beaten Path
- Nevada Off The Beaten Path
- San Luis Obispo Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Akureyri
- 26 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Akureyri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akureyri
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 44 reviews, 162 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 82 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues