"The Cornfield on the Sand Bar" Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri by travelfrosch

Akureyri Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 361 photos

First Town of North Iceland

The university town of Akureyri in northern Iceland is an excellent base to explore this part of the country. Home to a bit more than 16,000 people, Akureyri has a surprising diversity of accommodations and places to eat. Transportation possibilities abound, with a convenient airport, bus station, and cruise ship port. Akureyri is also known for better weather than southwest Iceland, and for fairly vibrant nightlife on the weekends (with its university and easy air connections for weekenders from Reykjavík). As you can see, the views of the surroundings are fairly nice, too.

Akureyrarkirkja

The dominant structure in town is the Akureyrarkirkja, or the Akureyri Church. It bears similarities to the Halgrímskirkja in Reykjavík in its stark external appearance. Enjoy a look around the outside or inside... or take a look at the church's backdrop on a clear day.

Botanical Gardens

Another nice place to stroll is in the Botanical Gardens on the south side of town. Replete with greenhouses, the gardens will surprise you with how much beautiful plant life can thrive this far north.

• Last visit to Akureyri: Jul 2013
  • Intro Updated Jul 1, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Mark, this really does look like a great area to visit. You’ve even been there twice, haven’t you?

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
      Jul 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM

We first visited in 2007, and again just this month. We loved it (though the weather was freezing this year!). Thanks for your visit!

• pcg821's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2009 at 6:07 PM

I wish I had more time in Akureyri,we only had about and 18 hour here and i needed to get some sleep,hope to get to Iceland again soon

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Will be staying only 5 days in Iceland this June --- but this place looks nice, and at least saw it through your pics...thanks for sharing, Norman :)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2008 at 8:33 AM

The Church is a very striking building - I do wonder if Coventry wanted their windows back?

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 6:24 PM

Mark, lovely photos, it looks like the skies are eternally blue over there! You must have enjoyed yourself tremendously here.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2007 at 7:49 AM

Another great page from you. Your transportation tips are especially helpful. And I just love the pictures.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2007 at 4:15 PM

I would think the Botanical Garden would draw quite a few visitors--I enjoy them so much myself! Thanks for a glimpse of Akureyri, Mark. Regards from Texas...

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Oops, I almost missed to continue reading about your Iceland trip. This city looks, well, interesting. Nice setting at the water and oh lovely gardens :-))

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Hi Mark. I always find your stories, tips, and recommendations very useful and interesting. Akureyri is not an exception.

• Travmad's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Looks like you had a great trip. I never did make it to Akureyri I always heard it was a nice area.

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Akureyri

Have you been to Akureyri?

Latest Activity in Akureyri