"The Cornfield on the Sand Bar" Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri by travelfrosch
Akureyri Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 439 photos
The university town of Akureyri in northern Iceland is an excellent base to explore this part of the country. Home to a bit more than 16,000 people, Akureyri has a surprising diversity of accommodations and places to eat. Transportation possibilities abound, with a convenient airport, bus station, and cruise ship port. Akureyri is also known for better weather than southwest Iceland, and for fairly vibrant nightlife on the weekends (with its university and easy air connections for weekenders from Reykjavík). As you can see, the views of the surroundings are fairly nice, too.
The dominant structure in town is the Akureyrarkirkja, or the Akureyri Church. It bears similarities to the Halgrímskirkja in Reykjavík in its stark external appearance. Enjoy a look around the outside or inside... or take a look at the church's backdrop on a clear day.
Another nice place to stroll is in the Botanical Gardens on the south side of town. Replete with greenhouses, the gardens will surprise you with how much beautiful plant life can thrive this far north.
Dettifoss is the largest-volume waterfall in Europe, and is certainly worth the trouble to go see. Up until 2011, you... more travel advice
One of the most spectacular sights in northern Iceland is Goðafoss, a huge waterfall located about 40 km east of... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Akureyri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH."
- "The Cornfield on the Sand Bar"
- "A City Surrounded By Fjords !"
- "Capital of north Iceland"
- "Akureyri - random pictures."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akureyri
- Hotels in Akureyri
- Transportation in Akureyri
- Nightlife in Akureyri
- Restaurants in Akureyri
- Shopping in Akureyri
- Warnings and Dangers in Akureyri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akureyri
- 26 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (122)
Have you been to Akureyri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akureyri
- Posted in Travel Venice Forum "Re: Venice trip end of August?"
- Wrote a Review Dettifoss in Akureyri Things to Do
- Commented on one of travelfrosch's Akureyri tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bus Through the Interior"
- Uploaded a Video to Akureyri
- updated a Akureyri Travel Page "The Cornfield on the Sand Bar"
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 50 reviews, 184 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Porto Intro, 20 reviews, 72 photos