Kandersteg Local Custom Tips by travelfrosch Top 5 Page for this destination
Kandersteg Local Customs: 7 reviews and 11 photos
Throughout Kandersteg (and most other places in Switzerland), you will notice many yellow trail signs indicating various destinations. Signs are marked with the amount of time it takes to hike to a location, rather than the straight-line distance. Remember that "Std." means "hours" -- for example, in the picture, you'll notice one sign says "Allmenalp -- 2 Std. 15 Min.", which means it takes 2 hours and 15 minutes to walk to Allmenalp.
One other aspect to notice about the signs is the color at the tip of the arrows. If a sign is all yellow, this is a "wanderweg," or walking trail, suitable for most walkers. If, however, a sign has a white-red-white tip, this is a "bergweg," or mountain trail. This means the trail has very steep uphill and downhill portions, and may not be suitable for beginning walkers. So, in our Allmenalp example, you'll notice it's a "bergweg." If you haven't hiked in the Swiss Alps before, you might want to try an easier trail until you get used to the exertion.
Once you're on the trail, you'll see both signs and trail markers. "Wanderwegs" are marked with yellow diamonds, normally painted on trees or rocks. "Bergwegs" are marked by white rectangles with a red stripe across the middle.
As always, before setting out, be sure to check with your hotel and/or the tourist office to get the latest updates on trail conditions.
Phone: +41 (0) 33 675 80 80
Cow Migration in May 2008
About 5:00 AM, we awakened to what sounded like rushing water at first. As it came closer, it was clear the sound was cowbells. It happened to be the day the farmers decided to move their cows from the lower pastures around the town to the higher pastures near the Oeschinensee. They do this so the lower pastures can be harvested for hay, so the cows can remain fed during the winter.
I was just learning how to use our new camera in "night" mode, so unfortunately the pictures are a bit blurry.
UPDATE: I added some photos of a daytime cow movement caught in May 2008. It didn't have quite as many cows as the morning migration a couple of years ago, but you can get the idea with some less blurry photos.
More Reviews (25)
- See All Gastern Valley Bus
- Kandersteg Kitty
- See All Lunch at the Train Station
- See All Discount grocery store
- See All Remote cafe
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Kandersteg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Away From Home"
- "Welcome to Kandersteg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kandersteg
- Hotels in Kandersteg
- Transportation in Kandersteg
- Nightlife in Kandersteg
- Restaurants in Kandersteg
- Shopping in Kandersteg
- Warnings and Dangers in Kandersteg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kandersteg
- 27 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Kandersteg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kandersteg
- Posted in Travel Memmingen Forum "Re: Rufbus from the Airport"
- updated a Kandersteg Travel Page "Welcome to Kandersteg"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Welcome to Kandersteg"
- Wrote a Review Gastern Valley Bus in Kandersteg Transportation
- Commented on one of travelfrosch's Kandersteg travel pages
- Commented on the Kandersteg travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Kandersteg
Photos in KanderstegSee All Photos (94)
Videos in KanderstegSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 44 reviews, 162 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues