Kandersteg Transportation Tips by travelfrosch Top 5 Page for this destination
Kandersteg Transportation: 23 reviews and 33 photos
Kandersteg train station
Kandersteg is a local station on the BLS (Bern-Lötschberg-Simplon) Railway, one of the many private railways in Switzerland. (don't worry -- Eurail and Swisspass are valid!) Until recently, it was on the main line between Bern and Brig, with most long haul trains stopping here. Now, however, nearly all of the InterCity and EuroCity trains have been diverted through the new Lötschberg Basis-Tunnel from Spiez to Visp, bypassing Kandersteg entirely. To replace the long-haul trains, BLS now runs "Regio-Express" trains between Brig and Bern, via Kandersteg and the old Lötschberg Tunnel. UPDATE: Many trains departing Bern now split at Spiez, with half of the train going to Zweisimmen, and the other half going to Kandersteg and Brig. Be sure to check the signs and/or video screens onboard to confirm the destination of your car is Brig, not Zweisimmen.
Here are the schedule highlights in a nutshell for 2013:
- The first train to Spiez and Bern departs Kandersteg at 5:54AM. Trains to Spiez then depart hourly at :13 past the hour from 07:13 until 21:13. The final train to Spiez departs at 22:43, where you can transfer to an InterCity train to Bern. Travel time to Bern is just under 70 minutes.
- The first train to Brig departs at 6:42 AM. Trains for Brig depart hourly at :42 past the hour until 22:42. The last train departs at 00:42. Travel time to Brig is about 40 minutes.
Other Contact: http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm
Phone: +41 33 675 83 84
View from the cable car
This cable car departs from Eggenschwand and arrives at the Sunnbuel bergstation. At Sunnbuel, there's a cafe, a Swiss Alpine Club hut, and a number of walking trails. You can take a short panorama walk around the area, or set off towards the Gemmipass. Those who are part mountain goat can take a steeper hiking trail to the Ueschinengrat (not to be confused with the Oeschinensee) and back.
As of July 2012, adult fares are CHF 23 for a one-way journey, CHF 32 for a round trip. Children can ride for CHF 11.50 one-way, CHF 16 round trip. 50% discounts with Swisspass, Swiss Card, and Kandersteg Guest Card.
Other Contact: http://sunnbuel.ch (German/Frenc
Phone: +41 (0)33 675 81 41
Minifrosch enjoys his first gondola ride
The easy way to get to the Oeschinensee is to take the gondola. The gondola, which replaced the old chairlift (sesselbahn) in 2009, is a favorite for its lovely view of the Kandersteg area. Either take the village bus to the base station, or walk about 10 minutes down the path towards the Bluemlisalp, then follow the signs for the "seilbahn talstation."
The lift runs daily from 08:15 until 18:00 during summer, with shorter hours off-season. Last ride up is 10 minutes before closing.
The cost as of 2012 is CHF 17 per adult one-way, CHF 24 round-trip. 50% discount for Swisspass, "1/2 Abo" holders (e.g., Swiss Card), and Berner Oberland/Wallis Regional Pass. 25% discount with Kandersteg Guestcard.
Phone: +41 33 675 11 18
"The Red Bus"
Automobilverkehr Frutigen-Adelboden, or AFA (or "The Red Bus" as Minifrosch called it), runs regular bus service between Kandersteg and Adelboden, with stops along the way in small villages such as Kandergrund and Mittholz (home of the Blausee), as well as the district's main town of Frutigen. The first bus for Adelboden departs at 6:00 AM, departing on the hour until 23:00. An additional early bus departs for Frutigen at 5:35 AM weekdays. Travel time is about 30 minutes to Frutigen, 1 hour 5 minutes to Adelboden. Swisspass and half-fare cards are valid on this route. Check at the train station, your hotel, or the tourist office for the latest fares. Also check the blue information placard on the traffic island in front of the Kandersteg train station for updates. NOTE: The red AFA bus is not to be confused with the blue Sunnbuel/Oeschinensee bus, which, while also run by AFA, runs in a different direction and is not fully covered by Swisspass.
Phone: +41 (0)33 673 74 74
The Sunnbuel Bus
If you're not up to the 40-minute walk from Kandersteg to Eggenschwand and the Sunnbuel Gondola, you have the option to take a bus. This blue village bus with the "Sunnbuel" logo departs from several locations in Kandersteg, including the Kandersteg train station, to the Sunnbuel gondola station in Eggenschwand. Passage is free with Kandersteg Guest Card or a valid ski pass. Otherwise, fare is CHF 3 each way, CHF 2 with Swisspass or Swiss Card.
The bus departs hourly from the Kandersteg train station and the Sunnbuel cable car station, generally coinciding with train/cable car arrivals respectively. A few buses also depart from the Kandersteg train station to the Oeschinensee gondola valley station (check the website for details).
Other Contact: info[at]kandersteg[dot]ch
Phone: +41 33 675 80 80
More Reviews (19)
- See All Lunch at the Train Station
- See All Discount grocery store
- See All Hiking Signs
- See All Remote cafe
- See All Don't like my hotel?
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Kandersteg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Away From Home"
- "Welcome to Kandersteg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kandersteg
- Hotels in Kandersteg
- Transportation in Kandersteg
- Nightlife in Kandersteg
- Restaurants in Kandersteg
- Shopping in Kandersteg
- Warnings and Dangers in Kandersteg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Guanajuato Hotels
- Grosse Pointe Farms Hotels
- Apollo Bay Hotels
- Laguna de Bay Hotels
Badges & Stats in Kandersteg
- 24 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Kandersteg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kandersteg
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Return of the Pop-Ups"
- updated a Kandersteg Travel Page "Welcome to Kandersteg"
- Commented on one of travelfrosch's Kandersteg travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mini-Meet For Minifrosch Part 2"
- Commented on the Kandersteg travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Kandersteg
- Wrote a Review Lunch at the Train Station in Kandersteg Restaurants
Videos in KanderstegSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 42 reviews, 152 photos
- New York City Intro, 32 reviews, 129 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Zermatt Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (95)
Latest Kandersteg hotel reviews
- Hotel Alpenblick
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2011
- Hotel Schweizerhof
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Bernerhof Kandersteg Hotel
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Hotel Blumlisalp
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 17, 2013
- Waldhotel Doldenhorn
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 17, 2013
- Hotel Alpina
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 26, 2012