Kandersteg Tourist Trap Tips by travelfrosch Top 5 Page for this destination
Kandersteg Tourist Traps: 4 reviews and 4 photos
Well, it's a lake... and it's blue...
I debated whether to put this in a "things to do" or "tourist traps," because to call it a tourist trap is somewhat harsh. There's nothing wrong with the lake itself, and it's a nice enough downhill walk from Kandersteg... but the entrance fee is CHF 5 for access to the lake via some short paths. As I said, the lake is nice, with an impressive blue hue, but it certainly isn't worth 5 Francs to see, especially with all of the other spectacular scenery in the area.
Unique Suggestions: First, walk there from Kandersteg. From the train station (with your back to the tracks), turn left and follow the signs to "Blausee/Frutigen." It's about a 90 minute hike, then the path to Blausee splits off.
Next, when you go to the lake, take a look at the modest museum that gives some explanation of how the Blue Lake became... well, blue.
Finally, take a look at the trout swimming around in the lake -- it's always a hit with children. Plus, one of these guys may well be your dinner tonight (the fish, not the children! :).
Fun Alternatives: Head to the Oeschinensee. It's much more scenic, and it's free.
More Reviews (23)
- See All Lunch at the Train Station
- See All Discount grocery store
- See All Hiking Signs
- See All AFA Bus
- See All Remote cafe
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Kandersteg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Away From Home"
- "Welcome to Kandersteg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kandersteg
- Hotels in Kandersteg
- Transportation in Kandersteg
- Nightlife in Kandersteg
- Restaurants in Kandersteg
- Shopping in Kandersteg
- Warnings and Dangers in Kandersteg
- See All...
Explore the World
- East Glacier Park Hotels
- Yanuyanu Island Hotels
- Passage East Hotels
- Rancho Santa Teresa Hotels
Badges & Stats in Kandersteg
- 24 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Kandersteg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kandersteg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The most-asked questions?"
- Commented on one of travelfrosch's Kandersteg travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mini-Meet For Minifrosch Part 2"
- Commented on the Kandersteg travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Kandersteg
- updated a Kandersteg Travel Page "Welcome to Kandersteg"
- Wrote a Review Lunch at the Train Station in Kandersteg Restaurants
Videos in KanderstegSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 42 reviews, 152 photos
- New York City Intro, 29 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 22 reviews, 72 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Zermatt Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (94)
Latest Kandersteg hotel reviews
- Hotel Alpenblick
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2011
- Hotel Schweizerhof
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Bernerhof Kandersteg Hotel
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- Hotel Blumlisalp
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 17, 2013
- Hotel Alpina
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 26, 2012
- Waldhotel Doldenhorn
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 17, 2013