"Welcome to Kandersteg" Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg by travelfrosch
Kandersteg Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 291 photos
Welcome to my favorite place to visit: Kandersteg, Switzerland. I first heard of Kandersteg from a co-worker who absolutely raved about it. I first saw Kandersteg in 1995 through a train window on my way from Stuttgart to Zermatt. As I passed by, I found myself wishing I could stop here. After some 3 crowded hours additional travel, I made it to Zermatt. While the nightlife and hikes in Zermatt were excellent, I vowed to spend my next long weekend in Kandersteg instead of the more distant, more touristy Zermatt. I've been coming back every year ever since -- even after I moved back to the States -- first alone, and then with Sara since 2002. I like Kandersteg so much because it's a "Goldilocks" destination: Not too touristy (like Zermatt, Grindelwald, or Davos), and not too remote (like Adelboden, Champex, or the Seealpsee).
The easiest and most obvious hike to make is to the Oeschinensee. Just walk into the postcard, so to speak, toward the Blümlisalp. Follow the signs to the Oechinensee, and take the 40-minute hike. It is rather steep, especially if you're not an experienced hiker, so bring good shoes and some water if it's a hot day.
Your reward will be a view of a lovely lake, along with a berghotel/cafe. You can stay the night if you want, but we prefer to stay in town.
For those who would like to go to the lake, but not take the steep hike, there's a "seilbahn" (gondola) that will get you up the hill. From the top station, it's a more gentle 20-minute walk to the lake.
Not far from Kandersteg is the gondola to Sunnbuel. The view from the gondola itself is breathtaking. At the top, there's a cafe, where you can sit and enjoy the view. For the more adventuresome, you can hike to the Gemmipass, where you'll be rewarded with magnificent views when the weather is clear. If you're interested, see my tip on this page!
A final note: Kandersteg is a favorite place for many, including myself. Keep this place a secret -- we don't want it overcrowded. Just you and me.
- In a nutshell:The place I'll retire -- if I win the lottery, that is...
If hiking the Gastern Valley isn't practical for you (say, if you're with a small child), another option to enjoy the... more travel advice
I came down to the lobby of my hotel to find a cat who was acting as if she owned the place. I took my camera out, and... more travel advice
- See All Discount grocery store
- See All Hiking Signs
- See All Remote cafe
- See All Don't like my hotel?
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Kandersteg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Away From Home"
- "Welcome to Kandersteg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kandersteg
- Hotels in Kandersteg
- Transportation in Kandersteg
- Nightlife in Kandersteg
- Restaurants in Kandersteg
- Shopping in Kandersteg
- Warnings and Dangers in Kandersteg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kandersteg
- 27 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Kandersteg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kandersteg
- Posted in Travel Garmisch-Partenkirchen Forum "Re: Bus from..."
- updated a Kandersteg Travel Page "Welcome to Kandersteg"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Welcome to Kandersteg"
- Wrote a Review Gastern Valley Bus in Kandersteg Transportation
- Commented on one of travelfrosch's Kandersteg travel pages
- Commented on the Kandersteg travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Kandersteg
Photos in KanderstegSee All Photos (94)
Videos in KanderstegSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 44 reviews, 162 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues