"Welcome to Kandersteg" Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg by travelfrosch

Kandersteg Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 291 photos

My Favorite Travel Destination

Welcome to my favorite place to visit: Kandersteg, Switzerland. I first heard of Kandersteg from a co-worker who absolutely raved about it. I first saw Kandersteg in 1995 through a train window on my way from Stuttgart to Zermatt. As I passed by, I found myself wishing I could stop here. After some 3 crowded hours additional travel, I made it to Zermatt. While the nightlife and hikes in Zermatt were excellent, I vowed to spend my next long weekend in Kandersteg instead of the more distant, more touristy Zermatt. I've been coming back every year ever since -- even after I moved back to the States -- first alone, and then with Sara since 2002. I like Kandersteg so much because it's a "Goldilocks" destination: Not too touristy (like Zermatt, Grindelwald, or Davos), and not too remote (like Adelboden, Champex, or the Seealpsee).

The Oeschinensee

The easiest and most obvious hike to make is to the Oeschinensee. Just walk into the postcard, so to speak, toward the Blümlisalp. Follow the signs to the Oechinensee, and take the 40-minute hike. It is rather steep, especially if you're not an experienced hiker, so bring good shoes and some water if it's a hot day.

Your reward will be a view of a lovely lake, along with a berghotel/cafe. You can stay the night if you want, but we prefer to stay in town.

For those who would like to go to the lake, but not take the steep hike, there's a "seilbahn" (gondola) that will get you up the hill. From the top station, it's a more gentle 20-minute walk to the lake.

The Sunnbuel Gondola

Not far from Kandersteg is the gondola to Sunnbuel. The view from the gondola itself is breathtaking. At the top, there's a cafe, where you can sit and enjoy the view. For the more adventuresome, you can hike to the Gemmipass, where you'll be rewarded with magnificent views when the weather is clear. If you're interested, see my tip on this page!

A final note: Kandersteg is a favorite place for many, including myself. Keep this place a secret -- we don't want it overcrowded. Just you and me.

• In a nutshell:The place I'll retire -- if I win the lottery, that is...
  • Last visit to Kandersteg: Jun 2013
  • Intro Updated Dec 13, 2013

• Zajem's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Thank you for your nice tips about Kandersteg and its area.

• Pechova's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Thank you for that great tour !

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Hi, I can see why this is your fave CH place :-) Lovely pics, thank you.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Great page! Isn't it wonderful when finding YOUR place in the World? :) I discovered Kandersteg's existance when we were in Switzerland recently and now I definitely have to check it out next time!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Mark, fanstsic page with outstanding photos of Kandersteg. A pity that I wasn't able to join you at th latest VT meeting there.

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Hi Mark! It was great to meet Ryan, Sarah & you. You were excellent local guide to discover Kandersteg and the Oeschinensee. See you next summer :-)

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2009 at 9:10 AM

If you win that lottery, maybe you could start a retreat for VTer's to enjoy the lovely terrain as much as you would. Hiking looks like a real adventure and a lot of fun. Great job of presenting this area.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2009 at 2:29 PM

an excellent page and great pics bringing back great memories ! I somehow agree about Blausee, but umong the locals it is quite popular and all school-classes are going there !

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Nice page!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2007 at 4:45 AM

I like the look of this place esp photo taken from top of mountain ;-)

travelfrosch Visits Here Frequently!

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Kandersteg

Have you been to Kandersteg?

Latest Activity in Kandersteg