"Return to Saas-Fee" Top 5 Page for this destination Saas-Fee by travelfrosch

Saas-Fee Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 172 photos

It's Sunnier in Saas-Fee

We had not been to Saas-Fee in quite some time. When the weather forecast indicated it might be cloudy in Kandersteg, but nicer south of the Rhône, we decided to take advantage of our Swisspass and go on a day trip from Kandersteg to Saas-Fee. Changing in Brig for the scenic and seemingly perilous post bus ride, we arrived in the town.

Hiking to Britannia Hütte

The early clouds showed signs of burning off, so we decided to go for broke. We made our way to the so-called "Alpine Metro" and took the cable car to the Felskinn lift station. While we could have taken an underground train all the way up to Allalin, we decided to get off and walk across glaciers and loose rock to the remote alpine hut known as the Britannia Hütte.

Tremendous views! (and lunch)

All through the hike, we were treated to breathtaking views of mountains and ice. On top of it all, the hut at our destination was open for lunch. Stomachs filled, we turned around and reluctantly headed back down.

• Last visit to Saas-Fee: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 19, 2009

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2010 at 6:52 AM

breathtaking pictures. amazing one can wear a t-shirt amidst all that ice. beautiful day for great fotos. and here and salzburg we finally get to see sara. email to follow.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2009 at 9:32 AM

I haven't been to this corner of Switzerland yet but one day I want to come here. My mum recently made it for the first time in her life and she over 80 now. So, I still have a chance ;))

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2008 at 2:35 AM

The glacier trail we took was very well-marked and well travelled. Trust me, there was no crevasse-jumping involved. Still, it is not an endeavor to be taken with sneakers... 8)

• bisbj's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Remember that when travelling on a glacier you must be suitable equipped! On a snow covered glacier that includes roping up with trained mountaineers. Should a snow bridge break under your foot, you could otherwise disappear into the bowels of the glacier

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2007 at 3:58 AM

Wonderful pictures! Good tips on physical fitness and proper equipment,too. There are too many accidents each year because of people overestimating their abiliies.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2007 at 7:18 AM

Breataking pictures. Great tips about the strenous levels of hiking. Think I'll find another way up. I was holding on for life on our little US mountains...don't think I could do that cable car...

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Wow... stunning photos of glaciers and snow capped mountains. Excellent tips of Saas Fee. Cheers from tropical Penang, SL :)

• rebibi's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2007 at 2:23 PM

You did quite a hike! Glad you had such a wonderful day there and were able to enjoy Saas Fee at its best.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2006 at 3:11 PM

the glaciers are amazing

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Saas-Fee

Have you been to Saas-Fee?

Latest Activity in Saas-Fee