"Zermatt and the Matterhorn" Zermatt by travelfrosch
Zermatt Travel Guide: 557 reviews and 1,570 photos
There it is. Say what you will about Zermatt and how touristy it is. It's touristy for a reason -- This reason.
The Matterhorn is not the tallest mountain in Switzerland, but it's likely the most famous. Its iconic peak standing alone, surrounded by only snow and sky -- this is the image we want to see when we come here. That's why it's so important to be sure the weather is fine before venturing here: Come in cloudy weather, and you came a long way to see an average tourist town with sky-high prices.
Assuming you've just arrived on the Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn (MGB) in the early afternoon, check into your hotel and go exploring. If you're up to it, take the short walk to the hamlet of Z'mutt. If you're not, wander around town. Get off the main road and explore the back alleys. As you wander past old farmhouses and new time-share chalets, you can get a peek at what's in store for you tomorrow.
Zermatt is also a haven for year-round skiers and mountain climbers, but we come here to hike. Among my favorite ones is this hike that takes you past the Stellisee. Come here late-morning on a clear day, and you'll be rewarded.
As time goes by, I'll add some tips, travelogues, and pictures to this page. Stay tuned, and enjoy!
Many years ago, one of my favorite hiking destinations in Zermatt was the Schwarzsee. Ideally located near the... more travel advice
Another pleasant place to visit is Sunnegga. You can either hike here from Zermatt or take the "Alpine Metro." Sunnegga,... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Zermatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "See you there this Summer or Winter..."
- "Zermatt and the Majestic Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt - Gateway to the mighty Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt...Guardian of the Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt and the Mighty Matterhorn"
- "Matterhorn Collection"
- "Zermatt - The Matterhorn Experience"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zermatt
- Hotels in Zermatt
- Transportation in Zermatt
- Nightlife in Zermatt
- Restaurants in Zermatt
- Shopping in Zermatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Zermatt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zermatt
- 15 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 28 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (124)
Have you been to Zermatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zermatt
Photos in ZermattSee All Photos (71)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 50 reviews, 184 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Porto Intro, 20 reviews, 72 photos