"Zermatt and the Matterhorn" Zermatt by travelfrosch

Zermatt Travel Guide: 536 reviews and 1,497 photos

Why We All Come Here

There it is. Say what you will about Zermatt and how touristy it is. It's touristy for a reason -- This reason.

The Matterhorn is not the tallest mountain in Switzerland, but it's likely the most famous. Its iconic peak standing alone, surrounded by only snow and sky -- this is the image we want to see when we come here. That's why it's so important to be sure the weather is fine before venturing here: Come in cloudy weather, and you came a long way to see an average tourist town with sky-high prices.

Wandering through the town

Assuming you've just arrived on the Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn (MGB) in the early afternoon, check into your hotel and go exploring. If you're up to it, take the short walk to the hamlet of Z'mutt. If you're not, wander around town. Get off the main road and explore the back alleys. As you wander past old farmhouses and new time-share chalets, you can get a peek at what's in store for you tomorrow.

Take a Hike!

Zermatt is also a haven for year-round skiers and mountain climbers, but we come here to hike. Among my favorite ones is this hike that takes you past the Stellisee. Come here late-morning on a clear day, and you'll be rewarded.

As time goes by, I'll add some tips, travelogues, and pictures to this page. Stay tuned, and enjoy!

Mark

• Last visit to Zermatt: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 19, 2009

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Inspirational page - really has me wanting to come back for a summer hiking visit - have been here a few times - AND been blessed with stunning weather on all visits but never down that stunning Stillisee visit!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Congrats on getting Tip of Day! I had not paid any attention to these before receiving one myself this week; which was well-timed to give me a lift while lying here in sickbed since arrvl home fr Israel&Jordan (fantastic!! trip, and had dins with DONNA in NYC too!)

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2011 at 4:22 AM

Beautiful photos of a great location! I would love to go hiking there also, or skiing!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Hi Mark, excellent page on this wonderful destination! And well deserved Tip of the Day, as alza said :-) I really feel like getting my hiking boots out now, the pictures look so beautiful... Also the hotel looks like a good option!

• alza's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2011 at 7:12 PM

love the hike tip to Stellisee and those fantastic views from Restaurant Rothom. So glad to have found this via Tip of the Day! (well deserved)

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2010 at 11:51 AM

With everything being all dug up at Schwarzsee, having an overpriced restaurant there would be adding insult to injury.

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Hope to go skiing there soon ;-) Always great to discover more about this place thanks to VTer's!

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Hi Mark, thanks for your great page and excellent tips, I will be in Zermatt on 3,4,5 September and really looking forward to it. Regards, Kate

• pcg821's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Hey Mark,wonderful tips and photos about Zermatt an other Swiss location.I just booked a trip there for this summer

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Great tips!

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Zermatt

Have you been to Zermatt?