"Zakopane and the Tatras" Zakopane by travelfrosch

Zakopane Travel Guide: 359 reviews and 854 photos

Mountains in Poland?!

As I was planning our vacation this year, I was pretty sure Poland would be on the itinerary, so I obtained a Poland guidebook. As has been the custom, I then handed the book to Sara to determine more specific destinations (she did a wonderful job the previous year with Mykines in the Faroe Islands and Hrísey in Iceland). After about 30 minutes, she turned to me and said, "I want to go THERE!" and pointed at Zakopane on the map. OK, I thought as I grabbed the book, so what is Zakopane anyway? The book described it as a "Polish mountain resort." A mountain resort? In Poland? Now this I've GOT to see!

Sure enough, it is indeed a mountain resort on the southern extreme of Poland, at the edge of the Tatras mountains. As you can see, the mountains are for real and beautiful.

• Last visit to Zakopane: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 17, 2012

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2012 at 5:26 AM

I only passed through Zakopane on the way to Slovakia. Conditions are still about the same, highways a bit better now and it was so lovely to see the scenery change from beautiful Krakow to the wonderful Tatras!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2010 at 2:13 AM

Surely I will visit Zakopane as a daytrip if I can attend the VT meeting in Krakow next may. Ciao!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2009 at 5:21 AM

Zakopane looks like a grand place to visit - I know Lenin thought so

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Nice job on scenic trail pics. I'm looking forward to a day trip up to Zakopane when I go to Poland in the spring. The town seems quite charming. I enjoy the folk costumes.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2008 at 5:53 AM

Nice place for a vacation. Thanks for sharing.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2008 at 10:24 AM

We didn't make it to Zakopane, though we had planned to, so I really enjoyed reading your page.

• betako3's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2008 at 6:28 AM

VERY nice beginning :) to be continued I hope? I enjoyed both the tips and the pictures (I love the Tatras!) and laughed a little imagining a communication problem in Victoria and 'fetching the daughter' :) I'm going to Zakopane in July

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Zakopane

Have you been to Zakopane?

Latest Activity in Zakopane