Salzburg Things to Do Tips by travelfrosch
Salzburg Things to Do: 1,234 reviews and 2,093 photos
Inside the church
An interesting church to visit is St Andrä, located right next to the Mirabellplatz bus stop. The church, completed in 1896, was all but destroyed by Allied bombing during World War II. What you see is a restoration, completed in 1952. We were quite impressed by the interior especially. If the weather is not conducive to being outside for reasons of temperature or precipitation, this is is not a bad place to spend some time while waiting for your bus.
Address: Mirabellplatz 5/I, A-5020 Salzburg
Directions: Right on Mirabellplatz, not at all far from the gardens or mansion.
Phone: 0662/87 13 75
Hohensalzburg from below
Hohensalzburg, the home of the Archbishops of Salzburg for centuries, is still a draw, both for what's inside and the views from it. You can stroll around the grounds, enjoy the views from the ramparts, visit the Palace Museum, or tour the fortress itself (the latter must be done with an escorted tour, but there is no additional charge).
To get there, you have the choice of taking the funicular ("Festungsbahn") from the vicinity of St Peter's Cemetery, or walking. If you choose to take the funicular, cost of admission is EUR 10.50 per adult, EUR 6 per child, and EUR 24.30 per family (round trip on the funicular included). If you walk, admission is EUR 7.50 per person. You can save a bit of money if you go up within one hour of closing time, or after hours.
Opening hours for the castle are 9 AM to 7PM May-September, 9:30-5PM off-season.
Address: Mönchsberg 34, 5020 Salzburg
Directions: It's the big castle on the hill overlooking Salzburg. Difficult to miss unless it's dark or foggy. The funicular entrance is just east of St. Peter's Cemetery.
Old Town and Hohensalzburg from the River
A very pleasant activity is simply to stroll along either bank of the Salzach River. Walking and biking paths are plentiful, and the views range from good to excellent. Wander in either direction and enjoy. Just be sure to stop when you're half-tired, then turn around and walk back to your starting point.
Directions: The river cuts through the center of town. Take any of several ramps and stairs down to the riverbank paths.
This is probably the most sought-after sight in all of Salzburg: Mozart's birthplace. We didn't go inside, but we took a few pictures of the outside. Reviews of what lies inside are mixed, but if you want to see for yourself, it will cost you EUR 7 per person, or EUR 16.50 per family. You can also get a combination ticket for this sight and the Mozart Residence for EUR 12 per peson or EUR 25 per family.
Address: Getreidegasse 9, A-5020 Salzburg
Directions: On the famous shopping street Getreidegasse, only a short distance from the Salzach river. When you see a large gold-painted building with lots of tourists in front of it, you have arrived.
Phone: ++43 662 844313
Sara enjoying the view
A decent hike in the area is to work your way from south to north along the Mönchsberg. You can easily incorporate the hike with a visit to the famous Hohensalzburg fortress. To start, you can either take the funicular to the fortress, or you can hike your way up. Exit the north gate and follow the path along the Mönchsberg. There's a hostel along your path where you can have a meal or even stay the night if you wish. Off to the west, there are fortifications offering excellent views in all directions. Finally, as you descend the extreme northern end, you'll find yourself in the neighborhood of Mülln, where the famous Augustiner brewery can be found.
Directions: The hill upon which the Hohensalzburg Fortress is situated.
Look Down the Lane
In the context of the Salzburg tourist explosion, this pedestrian lane is ground zero. The architecture and people are lots of fun to look at as you stroll down the lane. Be aware that most of the shops are extremely pricey, so it's probably best to stay away from them if you're on a budget. But if you look closely, you'll find a few food stands and budget eateries along the street. One particular McRestaurant will come as something of a surprise. Then again, maybe not.
Directions: The lane starts a block inland from the Staatsbrücke on the south (fortress) side.
Enjoy a Baroque overdose in this area, with the castle, gardens, fountains, and view of the Old Town and Fortress. This is probably the best place in Salzburg for views and photographs, especially if you have time to kill but not much money. Sound of Music fans can find a covered walkway where they can pretend they're Maria. Husbands of Sound of Music fans can humor their wives and tell them how much fun it is. ;)
Directions: On the north side of the river, just north of the Mozarteum.
More Reviews (4)
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Salzburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mozarts Music and Mozart's Kugeln & Nockerl"
- "The Hidden Wonders of Salzburg - A MUST SEE!"
- "One order of Salzburg, please . . ."
- "Fairyland for Real......"
- "SALZBURG - A CITY I LOVED!"
- "Salzburg and the central Austria lake region."
- "Mozart Music and More"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salzburg
- Hotels in Salzburg
- Transportation in Salzburg
- Nightlife in Salzburg
- Restaurants in Salzburg
- Shopping in Salzburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Salzburg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Salzburg
- 11 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Salzburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salzburg
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from..."
- Commented on one of travelfrosch's Salzburg travel pages
- updated a Salzburg Travel Page "Baroque and Beer"
- Wrote a Review Festung Hohensalzburg about Hohensalzburg Fortress in Salzburg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Festung Hohensalzburg"
Photos in SalzburgSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 44 reviews, 162 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 82 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (100)
Latest Salzburg hotel reviews
- CD Salzburg
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Institut St Sebastian
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- JGH Hostel Salzburg
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Hotel Trumer Stube
- 182 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Radisson Blu Hotel & Conference Centre
- 280 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Hotel Sacher Salzburg
- 420 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Alpenland Sporthotel
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Hotel Goldener Hirsch
- 395 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Bristol Hotel Salzburg
- 309 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Pension Junger Fuchs Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Hotel Gerl
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 19, 2013
- Haus Am Moos
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Hotel-Pension Bloberger Hof
- 374 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Hotel Weisse Taube
- 279 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Haus Christine
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Hohensalzburg Fortress- 195 Reviews, 329 Photos
- Mozart's House- 98 Reviews, 125 Photos
- Mirabell Garden & Castle- 137 Reviews, 225 Photos
- Dome and Cathedral- 87 Reviews, 138 Photos
- Sound of Music Tour- 30 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Getreidegasse- 47 Reviews, 83 Photos
- Schloss Hellbrunn- 42 Reviews, 60 Photos
- Salt Mines- 21 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Residenz and Residenzplatz- 58 Reviews, 112 Photos
- Salzach River- 30 Reviews, 42 Photos
See All Salzburg Things to Do