"Kinsale" Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale by travelfrosch

Kinsale Travel Guide: 183 reviews and 378 photos

Kinsale

We spent 2 nights and a day in Kinsale, so I by no means view myself as an expert on the town. Still, I'll share some observations and a few tips for what they're worth. It's also a nice excuse to post our photos! ;)

We were without a car, so we got here from Dingle by Irish Bus with easy changes in Tralee and Cork. We didn't break any land speed records, but it was cheap and stress-free.

Charles Fort

The most famous thing to do is to visit Charles Fort, an impressive star-shaped garrison built by the British shortly after they routed Irish and Spanish forces in 1601. It was garrisoned by the British into the 20th Centrury, and it even played a role in the Irish Civil War.

To get to Charles Fort, head up Long Quay past the Spaniard Inn and along the High Road on the Scilly Peninsula. The walk takes about 45 minutes and provides for a scenic Scilly diversion.

Walking and Dining

And speaking of walking, probably the most fun we had was just exploring the area outside of Kinsale before breakfast. We were actually trying to reach James Fort, the sister to Charles Fort on the opposite side of the harbor, but we took a wrong turn. We didn't make it to our destination, but we didn't mind.

Of course, all that walking builds up an appetite. Kinsale is billed as a gourmet haven, with cuisine rivaling the best in France. I don't know if I'd go THAT far, but the food we had was really good.

To sum up, Kinsale is pleasant enough, with good proximity to Cork Airport and ferries to France. It's certainly worth a look if it fits in your travel plans.

• Last visit to Kinsale: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 7, 2006

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Kinsale

Have you been to Kinsale?

Latest Activity in Kinsale