"Kinsale" Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale by travelfrosch
Kinsale Travel Guide: 183 reviews and 378 photos
We spent 2 nights and a day in Kinsale, so I by no means view myself as an expert on the town. Still, I'll share some observations and a few tips for what they're worth. It's also a nice excuse to post our photos! ;)
We were without a car, so we got here from Dingle by Irish Bus with easy changes in Tralee and Cork. We didn't break any land speed records, but it was cheap and stress-free.
The most famous thing to do is to visit Charles Fort, an impressive star-shaped garrison built by the British shortly after they routed Irish and Spanish forces in 1601. It was garrisoned by the British into the 20th Centrury, and it even played a role in the Irish Civil War.
To get to Charles Fort, head up Long Quay past the Spaniard Inn and along the High Road on the Scilly Peninsula. The walk takes about 45 minutes and provides for a scenic Scilly diversion.
And speaking of walking, probably the most fun we had was just exploring the area outside of Kinsale before breakfast. We were actually trying to reach James Fort, the sister to Charles Fort on the opposite side of the harbor, but we took a wrong turn. We didn't make it to our destination, but we didn't mind.
Of course, all that walking builds up an appetite. Kinsale is billed as a gourmet haven, with cuisine rivaling the best in France. I don't know if I'd go THAT far, but the food we had was really good.
To sum up, Kinsale is pleasant enough, with good proximity to Cork Airport and ferries to France. It's certainly worth a look if it fits in your travel plans.
Sometimes, an establishment spends too much time reading its press clippings. After a long walk to Charles Fort, we... more travel advice
A cozy, gourmet restaurant with lovely seafood and good service. It's especially nice if you're tired of fried food.... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Kinsale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Kinsale Magical Virtual Tour"
- ""Irish Beauty Harbor Town Kinsale""
- "Selling Kinsale"
- "Golf on a cliff"
- "Falling in love with Kinsale"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kinsale
- Hotels in Kinsale
- Transportation in Kinsale
- Nightlife in Kinsale
- Restaurants in Kinsale
- Shopping in Kinsale
- Warnings and Dangers in Kinsale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kinsale
- 5 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Kinsale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kinsale
Photos in KinsaleSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 44 reviews, 162 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues