"Geysir and Surroundings" Top 5 Page for this destination Geysir by travelfrosch
Geysir Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 291 photos
Our first stop in Iceland was the area around Geysir, the original geothermal fountain which gave its name to other phenomena of its kind around the world. Records appear to indicate this area became active after an earthquake sometime in the 13th Century. The largest pool, the Great Geysir, used to provide stunning performances with gushes of water up to 90 meters (300 feet) in the air. Nowadays, it's become much less active, and visitors must usually content themselves with the smaller pool of Strokkur, which erupts not as spectacularly (sometimes up to 30 meters or 100 feet), but very frequently -- every few minutes, in fact.
While you can give this area a quick visit on one of those "Golden Circle" day tours from Reykjavík, there are a number of activities you won't be able to do if you take this option. One of the most enjoyable ones was to hike up the Bjarnarfell and take in a panorama of the region.
Another fine activity if you have extra time is to walk down the gravel path to Haukadalur, or Hawk Valley. You'll see quite a few birds, as well as an interesting forest (!) and a wooden church in a very scenic location.
The restaurant at Geysir is of excellent quality but quite expensive. The advantage: a tremendous view of the thermal... more travel advice
A very important thing to do in this area is to stay on the paths. I was told a dozen tourists or so every year get... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Geysir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Geysir and Surroundings"
- "The ORIGINAL Geysir"
- "What a wonderful Geysir!!!"
- "Shooting From The Ground !"
- "GEYSIRS EVERYWHERE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Geysir
- Hotels in Geysir
- Transportation in Geysir
- Restaurants in Geysir
- Shopping in Geysir
- Warnings and Dangers in Geysir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Geysir
- 13 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (125)
Have you been to Geysir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geysir
Photos in GeysirSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 50 reviews, 184 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 28 reviews, 98 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Porto Intro, 20 reviews, 72 photos