"Geysir and Surroundings" Top 5 Page for this destination Geysir by travelfrosch

Geysir Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 266 photos

Hot Times

Our first stop in Iceland was the area around Geysir, the original geothermal fountain which gave its name to other phenomena of its kind around the world. Records appear to indicate this area became active after an earthquake sometime in the 13th Century. The largest pool, the Great Geysir, used to provide stunning performances with gushes of water up to 90 meters (300 feet) in the air. Nowadays, it's become much less active, and visitors must usually content themselves with the smaller pool of Strokkur, which erupts not as spectacularly (sometimes up to 30 meters or 100 feet), but very frequently -- every few minutes, in fact.

Bjarnarfell

While you can give this area a quick visit on one of those "Golden Circle" day tours from Reykjavík, there are a number of activities you won't be able to do if you take this option. One of the most enjoyable ones was to hike up the Bjarnarfell and take in a panorama of the region.

Haukadalur

Another fine activity if you have extra time is to walk down the gravel path to Haukadalur, or Hawk Valley. You'll see quite a few birds, as well as an interesting forest (!) and a wooden church in a very scenic location.

• Last visit to Geysir: Jun 2013
  • Intro Updated Jun 28, 2013

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Thanks for the great "hot&wet" tips/pics. Another great destination for hiking after the Swiss Alps of course ;-) Happy travels for 2014!

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
      Jan 5, 2014 at 5:22 AM

Thanks for your kind words, Patrick. Hope to see you this summer. Cheers, Mark

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2010 at 3:46 AM

A good tip, even though I live in Iceland I have never seen this church. Must go there when I visit Geysir again :)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 5:44 PM

looking forward to seeing this geysires...I'll watch out for the little guys first as you said - not looking forward to the hydrogen sulfide smell (eggs) though...Norman :) --- will save $ and eat at Restaurant Geysir!

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Never made it much outside of Reykjavik when we visited Iceland during a stopover in the 1980's. Boy, we sure missed alot! Thanks for the virtual tour!

• a5floor's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2008 at 1:26 AM

Hi Mark, thank you for visiting my Geysir page. Your page is nice as well. I bet you had a great stay in Iceland just as I did.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2007 at 6:21 AM

I'm surprised the bus service is unreliable, the tourism industry there seemed to be a well oiled machine. The Geysirs were pretty cool to see!

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Great pages on Iceland! It makes me miss it. We went in July too. If you get a chance, check out my pages, and let me know what you think. :-)

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 6:30 PM

Mark, the pix are just as fantastic here- the geysers, they remind me of the famous one in Yellowstone and the stinky one I saw in Java.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2007 at 5:33 AM

Not sure I will get to Iceland, but it was great seeing it thru your eyes ;-)

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2007 at 12:56 PM

There are many attractions in Iceland and Geysir is not an exception. Strokkur Ace is a wonder.

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Geysir