"An Instant Favorite" Hrísey by travelfrosch

Hrísey Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 42 photos

Welcome to Hrísey

This island, located right in the middle of the gorgeous Eyjafjörður, has to rate as the favorite place we visited in Iceland. When the weather is bright and clear, you can enjoy the splendid landscape, the deep blue of the fjord, and the magnificent white-capped mountains all around. The surroundings are unlikely to disappoint.

Hiking

The hiking is absolutely magnificent. While it's not overly challenging, you do need to be sure you stay on the paths. Be sure to follow the trail markers rather than what appears to be a trail.

Cliff Views

One of the hiking trails will take you right along the edge of the island, allowing you to look down and across the fjord at the amazing scenery. In fact, we enjoyed the hiking so much, we came back for a second day trip!

• In a nutshell:We'll be back...
  • Last visit to Hrísey: Jun 2013
  • Intro Updated Jul 1, 2013

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I hadn´t even noticed that there is a special destination on VT on Hrísey, so I only added one tip on the whole island on my North-Iceland page. Will have to change that. A lovely page :)

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
      Apr 4, 2013 at 6:15 AM

Thanks for you kind words, Regina. We definitely plan to visit again.

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2007 at 4:37 PM

The view in Hrisey is awesome especially your intro photo. Thanks for sharing information on this beautiful place.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Mark, this is fantastic - I really would like to go hiking there :-)) Can I add this page to my hiking album please ? Haha, this taxi looks fun ! But why not - backpackers' best choice :-)

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Hrísey