"Welcome to Balestrand" Balestrand by travelfrosch
Balestrand Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 60 photos
Balestrand, while not exactly a secret, is just far enough off the beaten path to avoid the heaviest tourist crowds. You can get here by bus from Oslo or Bergen, but the most common (and most fun) mode of transporation is the Sognefjord express boat. The village itself has some very interesting architecture, to include an Anglican (no, that's not a misprint) church.
It's important to note that Balestrand is primarily a summertime destination; most (if not all) tourist accommodations are closed October through early May.
Of course, the best part about Balestrand is the views of the Sognefjord. It doesn't take a very long stroll to get some wonderful photo opportunites. Or just sit on a fjordside bench in town and see how low you can get your pulse.
If you like to hike, there are plenty of opportunities around Balestrand to do so. In fact, when given the choice between taking the Jostedal Glacier tour and hiking, I chose to hike!
You might want to check very closely with your spouse before you make that decision. It's nearly 2 years later and I'm still hearing about it! The only solution: we'll just have to come back and take the glacier tour sometime soon... 8)
There are some very good hiking opportunities around Balestrand. Hiking trails are color-coded based on difficulty, with... more travel advice
It may sound funny, but many people don't quite realize that the fjords are fed by melting snow and ice. In fact, my... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Balestrand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pictoresque fjordside village"
- "Welcome to Balestrand"
- "Amazing, if rainy place!"
- "Balestrand - Sognefjord"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Balestrand
- Hotels in Balestrand
- Transportation in Balestrand
- Restaurants in Balestrand
- Warnings and Dangers in Balestrand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Balestrand
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (125)
Have you been to Balestrand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Balestrand
Photos in BalestrandSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 50 reviews, 184 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 28 reviews, 98 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Porto Intro, 20 reviews, 72 photos