Bergen Transportation Tips by travelfrosch
Bergen Transportation: 73 reviews and 71 photos
The coastal steamer arrives daily in Bergen at 2:30PM. Departures north towards Kirkenes are daily, 8PM mid-April through October, and 10:30PM November through mid-April. The northward trip takes 6 days, making calls at a number of cities, towns, and villages on the way. The ship will then turn around and return to Bergen in an additional 5 days.
Travelers have a variety of travel options and price ranges. You can take a full-up, 11-day "round trip" cruise, or a "half-round trip" (6 days north or 5 days south). Prices vary with time of year, class of cabin, car passage (yes, you can bring your car!), etc -- check the website for details.
For those with limited time and/or money, another option is to take a "port-to-port" trip. For our part, we took the 3-overnight trip from Svolvær to Kirkenes in the least expensive cabin available (NOK 400 per person, double occupancy in summer, half that off season). The website has a list of up-to-date fares and cabin options. For those living outside Scandinavia, your best bet is to email Hurtigruten directly if you want a cabin. Book well in advance if you're traveling in June or July.
Also check the website for the latest specials. For example, you can bring your car for free if traveling from Kirkenes to Bergen in 2007.
Other Contact: booking[at]hurtigruten[dot]com
Phone: +47 810 30 000
View from the stern of the Express Boat
Boats run daily Sogndal to and from Bergen (via Balestrand), more often June-August. Additionally, from June - August, boat service continues to Flåm with connections to Gudvangen sometimes possible. In 2009, One-way fare from Flåm to Bergen is NOK 645 for a single adult, NOK 968 "miniprice" for a round trip. 1-way fare from Bergen to Balestrand is NOK 470. There are also discounts for a "family" (up to 2 adults and 1 child) -- check the website for details. 50% discount for Inter-Rail (but NOT Eurail or Scanrail). The rules and restrictions change frequently, so always ask when purchasing.
Tickets can be purchased at the Flåm tourist office, the ticket kiosk by the boat dock in Bergen (near the fish market), or on the boat itself. Credit cards are usually (sometimes reluctantly) accepted, so it's prudent to be prepared to pay in cash.
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: +47 57 75 70 00
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Bergen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bergen - The city between the seven mountains"
- "The sunshine city of blue sky, blue sea, blue eyes"
- "Bergen in Norway"
- "The Fjord' Capital City"
- "City of rain and some nice benches"
- "Welcome to the land of the Vikings!"
- "Bergen in Fall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bergen
- Hotels in Bergen
- Transportation in Bergen
- Nightlife in Bergen
- Restaurants in Bergen
- Shopping in Bergen
- Warnings and Dangers in Bergen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kuala Terengganu
- Naran Hotels
- Laguna Beach Hotels
- Red Deer Hotels
- Wellington Hotels
Badges & Stats in Bergen
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Bergen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bergen
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 44 reviews, 162 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 82 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Bergen hotel reviews
- Crowded House Travel Lodge
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel Park Pension
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- First Hotel Marin
- 207 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Gullaksen Eiendom
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 25, 2013
- Radisson SAS Royal Hotel
- 258 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Victoria Hotel
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Neptun Hotel Bergen
- 154 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Marken Gjestehus
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Amalie's Guesthouse
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 4, 2010
- Grand Hotel Terminus
- 278 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Bergen Travel Hotel
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013
- Dreggen Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- Best Western Hordaheimen
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Thon Hotel Bergen Airport
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Mount Fløien- 59 Reviews, 114 Photos
- Fish Market- 37 Reviews, 57 Photos
- Buildings, streets and Alleys- 38 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Hansa Bryggen- 41 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Fjords- 11 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Museums / Memorials- 21 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Mount Ulriken- 8 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Tours and Activities- 21 Reviews, 24 Photos
- City centre / Waterfront / Parks- 34 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Edvard Grieg / Troldhaugen- 11 Reviews, 14 Photos
See All Bergen Things to Do