Bergen Transportation Tips by travelfrosch
Bergen Transportation: 72 reviews and 69 photos
The coastal steamer arrives daily in Bergen at 2:30PM. Departures north towards Kirkenes are daily, 8PM mid-April through October, and 10:30PM November through mid-April. The northward trip takes 6 days, making calls at a number of cities, towns, and villages on the way. The ship will then turn around and return to Bergen in an additional 5 days.
Travelers have a variety of travel options and price ranges. You can take a full-up, 11-day "round trip" cruise, or a "half-round trip" (6 days north or 5 days south). Prices vary with time of year, class of cabin, car passage (yes, you can bring your car!), etc -- check the website for details.
For those with limited time and/or money, another option is to take a "port-to-port" trip. For our part, we took the 3-overnight trip from Svolvær to Kirkenes in the least expensive cabin available (NOK 400 per person, double occupancy in summer, half that off season). The website has a list of up-to-date fares and cabin options. For those living outside Scandinavia, your best bet is to email Hurtigruten directly if you want a cabin. Book well in advance if you're traveling in June or July.
Also check the website for the latest specials. For example, you can bring your car for free if traveling from Kirkenes to Bergen in 2007.
Other Contact: booking[at]hurtigruten[dot]com
Phone: +47 810 30 000
View from the stern of the Express Boat
Boats run daily Sogndal to and from Bergen (via Balestrand), more often June-August. Additionally, from June - August, boat service continues to Flåm with connections to Gudvangen sometimes possible. In 2009, One-way fare from Flåm to Bergen is NOK 645 for a single adult, NOK 968 "miniprice" for a round trip. 1-way fare from Bergen to Balestrand is NOK 470. There are also discounts for a "family" (up to 2 adults and 1 child) -- check the website for details. 50% discount for Inter-Rail (but NOT Eurail or Scanrail). The rules and restrictions change frequently, so always ask when purchasing.
Tickets can be purchased at the Flåm tourist office, the ticket kiosk by the boat dock in Bergen (near the fish market), or on the boat itself. Credit cards are usually (sometimes reluctantly) accepted, so it's prudent to be prepared to pay in cash.
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +47 57 75 70 00
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Bergen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bergen - The city between the seven mountains"
- "The sunshine city of blue sky, blue sea, blue eyes"
- "Bergen in Norway"
- "The Fjord' Capital City"
- "City of rain and some nice benches"
- "Welcome to the land of the Vikings!"
- "Bergen in Fall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bergen
- Hotels in Bergen
- Transportation in Bergen
- Nightlife in Bergen
- Restaurants in Bergen
- Shopping in Bergen
- Warnings and Dangers in Bergen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nadi Hotels
- Nürnberg Hotels
- Pennsylvania Hotels
- Tamalpais Valley Junction Hotels
Badges & Stats in Bergen
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Bergen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bergen
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 41 reviews, 151 photos
- New York City Intro, 29 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 22 reviews, 72 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Zermatt Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (94)
Latest Bergen hotel reviews
- Tulip Inn Rainbow Hotel Bryggen Orion
- 185 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Neptun Hotel Bergen
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Thon Hotel Bergen Brygge
- 191 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Rica Brakanes Hotel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 27, 2013
- Hotel Park Pension
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Radisson SAS Royal Hotel
- 148 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Marken Gjestehus
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Thon Hotel Bergen Airport
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Dreggen Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 15, 2006
- Amalie's Guesthouse
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 4, 2010
- Best Western Hordaheimen
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Bergen Travel Hotel
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2012
- Gullaksen Eiendom
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2012
- Bergen YMCA Hostel
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- City Apartment Hotel
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 3, 2013
- Mount Fløien- 57 Reviews, 109 Photos
- Fish Market- 36 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Hansa Bryggen- 41 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Buildings, streets and Alleys- 38 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Fjords- 11 Reviews, 27 Photos
- City centre / Waterfront / Parks- 34 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Mount Ulriken- 8 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Tours and Activities- 21 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Fantoft Stavkirke (Stave church)- 7 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Museums / Memorials- 21 Reviews, 22 Photos
See All Bergen Things to Do