"Narvik and Surroundings" Top 5 Page for this destination Narvik by travelfrosch

Narvik Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 271 photos

Friendly VT Tourguide

We arrived in late June. At 68 degrees, 25 minutes North latitude, Narvik is plenty far enough north to see the Midnight Sun. Unfortunately, the weather was cloudy and rainy the whole time we were there. Oh, well.

The good news: we have a VT friend, Jim (Narviking), who just happens to live in Narvik. He was kind enough to drive us around the area and show us the best of the town and its surroundings. Even when the weather's not perfect, a friendly face who knows the area can greatly enhance your travel experience. Thanks, Jim!

A Working Town

At the end of the line of the Ofoten Railway, Narvik would be a small village at best if it didn't have a year-round, deep-water port. This port is the reason the railway was built in the first place -- to transport iron ore from Kiruna, Sweden to the sea. No tourist town this; there's heavy work to be done.

On to the Lofoten Islands

Narvik is an excellent transit point, be it north to Tromsø, south to Bodø, east to Abisko and Kiruna, or west to Svolvær, our next destination. It's also a fine place to stay in its own right. Despite the cloudy weather, we had an excellent 2-night stay. I'm glad we didn't just pass through. But we finally did say good-bye to Jim and to Narvik, and boarded the express boat to Svolvær.

• Last visit to Narvik: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated May 24, 2007

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2009 at 10:08 PM

3000 year old rock carving --- so about time of pharaohs in Egypt...that's really OLD (like me, hehehe...) nice tip, Norman :)

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2008 at 3:10 PM

It's great when someone shows you around isn't it Mark :o) I really like the beach shots. That bird is definately not a magpie. I reckon it's a butcher bird. Cheers, Ann :o)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2007 at 7:08 PM

But did they have herring pizza? Thinking about Norway next year...

• Oct 13, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Have only spent around two hours in Narvik, while waiting for a train... :o) (And yeah, looks very much like a magpie... :o)

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2007 at 2:19 PM

Surprise there is a pizza place. Great page of Narvik - hometown of Jim (Narviking). Jim is a very cool guy and take the trouble of sending postcards from his travel to less travelled countries.

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2007 at 7:27 PM

There is no doubt Narvik is one of the beautiful places in Norway. I feel like visiting Norway earlier than my scheduled travel plan.

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Beautiful photo of the fjord - it looks a jumpoff point into crystalline eternity. Thank you for the Norwegian travelogue. Katja

• grets's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Very thorough page on Narvik. I spent a few hours there a few years ago, but didn't really see much. The bird looks like a magpie to me...... :-)

• Mar 11, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Lovely page! :)

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Narvik