"Narvik and Surroundings" Top 5 Page for this destination Narvik by travelfrosch
Narvik Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 271 photos
We arrived in late June. At 68 degrees, 25 minutes North latitude, Narvik is plenty far enough north to see the Midnight Sun. Unfortunately, the weather was cloudy and rainy the whole time we were there. Oh, well.
The good news: we have a VT friend, Jim (Narviking), who just happens to live in Narvik. He was kind enough to drive us around the area and show us the best of the town and its surroundings. Even when the weather's not perfect, a friendly face who knows the area can greatly enhance your travel experience. Thanks, Jim!
At the end of the line of the Ofoten Railway, Narvik would be a small village at best if it didn't have a year-round, deep-water port. This port is the reason the railway was built in the first place -- to transport iron ore from Kiruna, Sweden to the sea. No tourist town this; there's heavy work to be done.
Narvik is an excellent transit point, be it north to Tromsø, south to Bodø, east to Abisko and Kiruna, or west to Svolvær, our next destination. It's also a fine place to stay in its own right. Despite the cloudy weather, we had an excellent 2-night stay. I'm glad we didn't just pass through. But we finally did say good-bye to Jim and to Narvik, and boarded the express boat to Svolvær.
This rather noisy creature appeared quite proud of its perch. I originally thought it was an Arctic Tern, but after... more travel advice
About 30 minutes north of Narvik by car, on the road to Tromsø, there is a sandy area with a number of small, square... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Narvik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Narvik and Surroundings"
- "Between the mountains and the ocean"
- "Journey along the Arctic Highway"
- "MY HOMETOWN NARVIK"
- "68°25' N 17°33' E"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Narvik
- Hotels in Narvik
- Transportation in Narvik
- Nightlife in Narvik
- Restaurants in Narvik
- Warnings and Dangers in Narvik
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Narvik
- 17 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Narvik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Narvik
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 44 reviews, 162 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues