"A Rainy Day in Svolvær" Svolvær by travelfrosch
Svolvær Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 75 photos
One of the calculated risks you take when visiting northern Norway in June is the weather. The weather had not been ideal so far in our trip north of the Arctic Circle (though we did manage to see some Midnight Sun in Abisko National Park, Sweden on the lee side of the Ofoten Mountains). We arrived late evening on the express boat from a cloudy and rainy Narvik. The weather in Svolvær was much the same as it was in Narvik -- cloudy and rainy. Our plan was to spend one overnight and a full day waiting for our Coastal Steamer northward bound for the North Cape and Kirkenes. We went to bed hoping for the best.
The next morning, the weather cleared just a bit, so we rushed out to take a walk right after breakfast. We wandered to the north side of Svolvær and took in a view of some lovely mountains. We were quite happy to see an actual mountain beneath clouds for the first time in quite awhile.
Unfortunately, the promise of the morning led to clouds and more rain in the afternoon. We had about 9 hours to kill before our boat arrived and after we checked out of the hotel. We made the best of it with Gore-tex jackets, some shopping visits, and a long stay at a local pub. I'll share some pictures, tips, and thoughts from our soggy sojurn. Enjoy!
A worthwhile diversion is a walk to the nearby island of Svinøya. Walk down the main road (the water should be on your... more travel advice
Svolvær is a regular stop for the Coastal Steamers enroute between Bergen and Kirkenes. This is unquestionably a very... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Svolvær Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Rainy Day in Svolvær"
- "Not long enough in Svolvaer"
- "Svolvær - the capital of Lofoten"
- "A 'crowded and hectical' place ?!?"
- "With Costa Deliziosa from Amsterdam to North Cape"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Svolvær
- Hotels in Svolvær
- Transportation in Svolvær
- Restaurants in Svolvær
- Shopping in Svolvær
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Svolvær
- 12 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Svolvær?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Svolvær
Photos in SvolværSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 44 reviews, 162 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 82 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (100)
Latest Svolvær hotel reviews
- Svinoya Rorbuer
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013