"A Rainy Day in Svolvær" Svolvær by travelfrosch

Svolvær Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 75 photos

Capricious Weather

One of the calculated risks you take when visiting northern Norway in June is the weather. The weather had not been ideal so far in our trip north of the Arctic Circle (though we did manage to see some Midnight Sun in Abisko National Park, Sweden on the lee side of the Ofoten Mountains). We arrived late evening on the express boat from a cloudy and rainy Narvik. The weather in Svolvær was much the same as it was in Narvik -- cloudy and rainy. Our plan was to spend one overnight and a full day waiting for our Coastal Steamer northward bound for the North Cape and Kirkenes. We went to bed hoping for the best.

Morning Mountains

The next morning, the weather cleared just a bit, so we rushed out to take a walk right after breakfast. We wandered to the north side of Svolvær and took in a view of some lovely mountains. We were quite happy to see an actual mountain beneath clouds for the first time in quite awhile.

Rainy Wanderings

Unfortunately, the promise of the morning led to clouds and more rain in the afternoon. We had about 9 hours to kill before our boat arrived and after we checked out of the hotel. We made the best of it with Gore-tex jackets, some shopping visits, and a long stay at a local pub. I'll share some pictures, tips, and thoughts from our soggy sojurn. Enjoy!

• Last visit to Svolvær: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 29, 2006

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2010 at 2:04 PM

I've just found an old Youth Hostel Pass which says that I arrived in Svolvær on July 14, 1969. The main thing I remember is watching the midnight sun from the ship. But I don't remember much about the town. Maybe it was raining or something.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Looks lovely even in the rain - really like that huskie. Grazie for the tour, Carol

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2009 at 2:00 PM

I havent started my pages on my Hirtugruten trip - talk about procrastinate probs with so many stunning pics and places its all too harrowing!but nice to see yours!I trained to Narvik and then bus to Harstad to the boat up to Kirkenes Feb 07

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2008 at 8:43 AM

We got to Svolvaer from Skutvik, much cheaper than the ferry to Bodo, but we didn't stop there, having only one day for the Lofoten. We didn't even notice the 'Goat' rock, but went straight south. Having seen your great pictures, we wish we could go back.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2006 at 5:37 PM

i have a friend from that town and he´s even crazier than me. the place looks very pretty though :O)

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Svolvær

Have you been to Svolvær?

Latest Activity in Svolvær