"North to Abisko" Top 5 Page for this destination Abisko Nationalpark by travelfrosch

Abisko Nationalpark Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 139 photos

Entering the Land of the Midnight Sun

Our night train continued north, past the Arctic Circle, through Kiruna, and on to Abisko National Park. We arrived just after the Solstice, so we were hoping to see the Midnight Sun on at least one of the two nights we were spending here. As luck would have it, on our very first night, the Mount Nuolja chairlift was specially open to ferry people up the mountain. At the top, the weather cleared, and we got our wish. Even better, there was a rainshower off to the east, which created a Midnight Rainbow.

Torneträsk

The highlight of the area is the lake known as Torneträsk. Not far from the Tourist Station, there's a path along the Abisko River, where you can watch the water flow into the clear blue water of the lake.

Lapporten

North Sweden's geologic icon is the Lapporten. This remarkable formation, born in the Ice Age, has long been known as the "Gateway to Lappland."

We had a wonderful time here. We packed our memories of Mount Nuolja and the Midnight Sun along with our belongings, and headed to the station for our train to Narvik.

• Last visit to Abisko Nationalpark: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 15, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Great that you were there at Midsummer!

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
      Jul 6, 2014 at 3:58 PM

As were we, Don. And this is at the very top of our list of places we want to see again if we can find the time and money to do so. Thanks for your visit!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Well I can certainly see why you came to this place Mark! Stunning views!! ......I'm finding it hard to believe that there's mozzies there?....I'd have thought it would have been too cold for the littler buggers! ;o) Great page!! Cheers, Ann.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2008 at 3:22 PM

that looks so bloody cool. i should make it up there one day myself.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Sorry you had a bad experience. Veolia did not own the Stockholm-Narvik route when we travelled in 2006.

• Feb 27, 2008 at 4:10 AM

I do NOT recommend Veolia. I booked a ticket (bokatag.se) but missed my train due to an incorrect reservation no. I contacted them (to inform them and prevent it from happening again) and the response was disrepectful.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Wow..what a beautiful scenic place. Enjoyed your mid summer buffer tip :)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2007 at 7:57 AM

Midsummer in Abisko - how wonderful :-)) I can't decide who is more beaming - the sun or Sara and you :-)

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 7:25 AM

An excellent page about a beautiful area! I would love to hike at least part of Kungsleden one day. Very good transportation tip. Your photos didn't show, so I'll come back later to see them.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2006 at 4:52 PM

Great page, Mark! Nice photos as usual. How many nights did you stay there? Oh, and congrats on the sub-1000 ranking!

• Oct 15, 2006 at 4:23 PM

The best ANP travel page..great!

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Abisko Nationalpark

Have you been to Abisko Nationalpark?

Latest Activity in Abisko Nationalpark