"North to Abisko" Top 5 Page for this destination Abisko Nationalpark by travelfrosch
Abisko Nationalpark Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 139 photos
Our night train continued north, past the Arctic Circle, through Kiruna, and on to Abisko National Park. We arrived just after the Solstice, so we were hoping to see the Midnight Sun on at least one of the two nights we were spending here. As luck would have it, on our very first night, the Mount Nuolja chairlift was specially open to ferry people up the mountain. At the top, the weather cleared, and we got our wish. Even better, there was a rainshower off to the east, which created a Midnight Rainbow.
The highlight of the area is the lake known as Torneträsk. Not far from the Tourist Station, there's a path along the Abisko River, where you can watch the water flow into the clear blue water of the lake.
North Sweden's geologic icon is the Lapporten. This remarkable formation, born in the Ice Age, has long been known as the "Gateway to Lappland."
We had a wonderful time here. We packed our memories of Mount Nuolja and the Midnight Sun along with our belongings, and headed to the station for our train to Narvik.
Abisko is the northern terminus of the Kungsleden, considered one of the most magnificent hiking trails in the world. We... more travel advice
Right next to the Turiststation is the Naturum, a sort of combination tourist information office / museum / Park Ranger... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Abisko Nationalpark Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Abisko National Park"
- "A natural wonder"
- "North to Abisko"
- "Abisko National Park"
- "Abisko - One my favourite places on Earth"
- "Storyin Abisko"
- "Think twice before you follow a scooter track ;)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Abisko Nationalpark
- Hotels in Abisko Nationalpark
- Transportation in Abisko Nationalpark
- Nightlife in Abisko Nationalpark
- Restaurants in Abisko Nationalpark
- Shopping in Abisko Nationalpark
- Warnings and Dangers in Abisko Nationalpark
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Abisko Nationalpark
- 10 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Abisko Nationalpark?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abisko Nationalpark
Photos in Abisko NationalparkSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 46 reviews, 168 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 83 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues