"Ærø and Ærøskøbing" Ærø by travelfrosch
Ærø Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 91 photos
There's not a whole lot to do on Ærø. And that's why we liked it so much. Just quiet, rolling hills and water to relax and wander around.
We stayed in the village of Ærøskøbing, which itself is something of an open-air folk museum. The houses are centuries old, harkening back to a time when this island was the home of the vast Danish merchant fleet.
For those who are Stevesophobic, you should know that Ærøskøbing is one of those villages with the Rick Steves Seal of Approval. In fact, while we were visiting, we actually did see a merry band of Rick Steves Tour-ists tooling around in a Belgian-registered tourbus. But unlike other Stevesian destinations, the Yankee tourists barely registered among the throngs of Danes and Germans visiting the village.
OK, I'm pretty sure that Vikings didn't bike (though there is a Biking Viking on VT...), but that's OK, because we don't bike either. Nevertheless, this island is made for biking, with excellent bike paths.
For our part, we took several long walks, including out toward the clay cliffs of Voderup Klint, as well as past the square beach-houses to Unrehoved.
Unrehoved, the name of the peninsula to the east of Ærøskøbing, is a pleasant stroll. Enjoy the sea view on both sides... more travel advice
Unless you have a car, the best way to get to Ærø is the ferry from Svendborg to Ærøskøbing. Through June 2012, ferries... more travel advice
travelfrosch's Related Pages
Ærø Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ærø and Ærøskøbing"
- "One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen"
- "Can't say enough good things about ?r?!"
- "Wonderful Alcatraz hehehehe Academy time!!"
- "Biking on Ærø"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ærø
- Hotels in Ærø
- Transportation in Ærø
- Restaurants in Ærø
- Shopping in Ærø
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ærø
- 14 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Ærø?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ærø
Photos in ÆrøSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 44 reviews, 162 photos
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 131 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg Intro, 27 reviews, 93 photos
- Norway Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Intro, 26 reviews, 82 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 24 reviews, 82 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 15 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Europe Intro, 30 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues