"Ærø and Ærøskøbing" Ærø by travelfrosch

Ærø Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 91 photos

A Vacation from the Vacation

There's not a whole lot to do on Ærø. And that's why we liked it so much. Just quiet, rolling hills and water to relax and wander around.

We stayed in the village of Ærøskøbing, which itself is something of an open-air folk museum. The houses are centuries old, harkening back to a time when this island was the home of the vast Danish merchant fleet.

For those who are Stevesophobic, you should know that Ærøskøbing is one of those villages with the Rick Steves Seal of Approval. In fact, while we were visiting, we actually did see a merry band of Rick Steves Tour-ists tooling around in a Belgian-registered tourbus. But unlike other Stevesian destinations, the Yankee tourists barely registered among the throngs of Danes and Germans visiting the village.

Biking or Hiking like a Viking

OK, I'm pretty sure that Vikings didn't bike (though there is a Biking Viking on VT...), but that's OK, because we don't bike either. Nevertheless, this island is made for biking, with excellent bike paths.

For our part, we took several long walks, including out toward the clay cliffs of Voderup Klint, as well as past the square beach-houses to Unrehoved.

Evening stroll in Ærøskøbing

Ærøskøbing itself is perfect for strolling. Wander along the water and then down Smedgade, home of the Flaske Peters Samling (Bottle Peter Museum) and the house Rick Steves calls "Ærøskøbing's cutest."

• Last visit to Ærø: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I liked what I saw in Denmark, now thanks to you, I have read about another nice place!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2011 at 2:44 AM

These Danish places have such great names: Ærø, Ærøskøbing, Unrehoved, Olde Mølle, Voderup Klint, Tranderup. (Unrehoved is especially mysterious; sounds like it must mean something, but I have no idea what.) I’m glad they have good bike paths!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Hey cute cows & bunny pix Mark :o) Cheers, Ann.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2009 at 10:58 AM

A friend of mine is there now-so I decided to see it from a virtual tour. Thank you and great presentation

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Sounds like some very good food. You're making me hungry!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2007 at 7:25 AM

Great tips about the bunny...I spoiled my armor I was so scared...thanks for the birthday greetings.

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2007 at 5:32 PM

Lovely page...especially liked the honour system tip and the 'cows'. Not sure really what difference it makes whether you are Danish or a tourist when it comes to the accomodation. Anyway thanks for sharing...

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2007 at 4:48 AM

Interesting comment on Danish cows :)

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2006 at 8:48 AM

Nice page. Greetings.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 9:20 AM

Aero is a great introduction to the Danish archipelago, as demonstrated ably on these pages. Best experienced from the saddle of a bike or the deck of a sailboat.

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Badges & Stats in Ærø