"KARS, CITY OF HISTORY & CULTURE" Kars Ili by Arkeolog
Kars Ili Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 127 photos
Ani ( Ocaklý ) The Ani Ruins are at 48 km distance to the Kars Province. The ancient city is founded at the banks of the Arpaçay River flowing in the vicinity of Turkey - Armenia border and is in the borders of Mevcut Ocaklý Village. The foundation date is estimated to be in BC 350 - 300 years. The tourists coming to our country frequently visit the ruins of Ani. The ruins of city walls, Medieval churches and Seljukian architecture creations of the Ani ruins are magnificent art works and they worth visiting.
Seljuk Palace The palace is located at the northwest end of the Ani ancient city and is quite magnificent. The external entrance gate is adorned with rich mosaic geometrical patterns. The internal structure of the building formed by a complex combination of various chambers, galleries, storage chambers and fountains.
The Ramparts The Northern ramparts are firstly constructed in the year 972. By the addition of eastern ramparts between 977 - 990 years, these ramparts had been strengthened. The three northern entrance gates are worth seeing. The Dragon Tower, which was used as a hospital by Seljukians in12th Century is one of the oldest hospitals of Anatolia.
Kars Castle The Kars Castle is also called as Central Castle or Inner Castle and was constructed in the 10th Century. The Castle was completely destroyed by the forces of Timur in 1386 and was reconstructed in 1579.
Beylerbeyi Palace The Palace is located at the skirts of the Kars Castle. The palace was constructed by the order of Lala Mustafa Paþa in 1579. The structure has two floors and was occupied as the Kars Town Hall since 1828.
kars is an unique city in turkey which makes different culture together such as Ottoman, Turkish, Russian, Armenian.
- In a nutshell:OTTOMAN, TURKISH, RUSSIAN, ARMENINA
Kars produces carpets designed in the Caucasian style. The main motif used is the large crucilorm. The quiet... more travel advice
Arkeolog's Related Pages
Kars Ili Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the way to... Ani"
- "KARS-Turk-Armenian-Russian history"
- "Far Away Kars"
- "Ani Walkthrough - Part 1"
- "KARS, CITY OF HISTORY & CULTURE"
- "Welcome to Kars"
- "Kars, the easternmost city of Turkey"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kars Ili
- Hotels in Kars Ili
- Transportation in Kars Ili
- Nightlife in Kars Ili
- Restaurants in Kars Ili
- Shopping in Kars Ili
- Warnings and Dangers in Kars Ili
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kars Ili
- 3 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Kars Ili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kars Ili
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Izmir Intro, 59 reviews, 69 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 28 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitola Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Cyprus Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tirana Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buyukada Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos
- Bozcaada Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos