"TIRANA, CAPITAL OF THE LAND OF THE EAGLE" Top 5 Page for this destination Tirana by Arkeolog
Tirana Travel Guide: 354 reviews and 948 photos
“Shqiperi” or “Land of the Eagle” could not be a more appropriate nickname for Albania, especially when referring to its geographical location and topography of steep mountains, high hills and lots of forests. The people of Albania, who live in a land located in the Balkan Mountains, refer to themselves as “shqiptar”. The origin of these words is from the Albanian for “eagle”.
I drove from Skopje to Tirana; via Skopje-Tetova-Struga-Librazhd, Elbasan and Tirana. It was a pleasant trip with a rental car.
Tirana has a huge square, called Skandserbeg Square, which's surrounded by Opera House, National Museum, Ottoman Mosque(Ethem Bey Mosque) and clock tower, official buildings, parks and hotels. Also crowded and busy boulevards and streets lead to this square.
The city of Tirana, Albania has a long history. Officially founded in 1614 by Sulejman Pasha the Ottoman. It was rebuilt in the 18th century by the Ottoman ruler Ahmed Pasha Toptani.
If you want to learn n understand Albanian culture then visit this museum. It's in the heart of the city and easy to visit. You wont waste your time.
There is an impressive Ottoman Mosque and its towering minaret by the Skanderbeg Square (main square of Tirana). Construction of the Ethem Bey Mosque started in 1798 and was finished in 1821 by Et'hem Bey . Closed under communist rule, the mosque reopened as a house of worship in 1991. Take a look at the frescoes outside and in the portico which depict trees, waterfalls, Ottoman houses and bridges - motifs rarely seen in Islamic art. Take your shoes off before entering the inner room and please respect the prayers.
When you enter Et'hem Bey Mosque have a carefully look at the decoration of its dome. Its well decorated and well... more travel advice
Behind Suleiman Pasha Square there is an open market for fruits and vegetables. It is a nice place to buy some fresh... more travel advice
Arkeolog's Related Pages
Tirana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tirana, the capital of Albania"
- "Resurgent Tirana"
- "TIRANA, CAPITAL OF THE LAND OF THE EAGLE"
- "When the CHAOS is called CITY"
- "Tirana 2008"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tirana
- Hotels in Tirana
- Transportation in Tirana
- Nightlife in Tirana
- Restaurants in Tirana
- Shopping in Tirana
- Warnings and Dangers in Tirana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tirana
- 23 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Tirana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tirana
Photos in TiranaSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Izmir Intro, 59 reviews, 69 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 28 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitola Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Cyprus Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tirana Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buyukada Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos
- Bozcaada Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos