"The Bellapais Monastery, BEYLERBEYI District" Top 5 Page for this destination Bellapais by Arkeolog
Bellapais Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 53 photos
The Bellapais Monastery:
The monastery, one of the unparalleled samples of Gothic Art, is situated on the flanks of the Five-finger (Kyrenia) Mountains. Its name today derives from the French "Abbaye de la paix", which means "The Peace Monastery". The first settlers of the monastery are the priests of the Augustinian order who had migrated from Jerusalem. The first monastery building was constructed between 1198-1205. Most sections of the building which can be seen today was built by the French King Hugh III between 1267-1284. The pavilions around the courtyard and the refectory were constructed during the reign of King Hugh IV (1324-1359). After Cyprus was conquered by the Ottomans, the monastery was given to the Greek Orthodox Church.
The church next to the courtyard is the part which is in the best condition. The Italian frescoes on the front walls were made in the 15th century. The two marble tombs in the courtyard were used as washbasins by the priests for some time. On the door behind the tombs the insignia of the Jerusalem, Lusignan, and Cyprus Kingdoms are fixed. The refectory of the monastery is also an example of unequalled Gothic Art. The rooms to the east of the courtyard in the middle, belonged to the priests. The column in the middle of the council chamber is thought to have belonged to the early Byzantine Church. The dormitories of the priests and the chamber of accounts are on the upper floor.
British Author L.Durrell lived many years in North Cyprus at Bellapais village. He wrote his well known novel " Bitter Lemons" in this house. This village is very famous for Durrell's house and novel.
Arkeolog's Related Pages
Bellapais Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scenic Bellapais"
- "The Bellapais Monastery, BEYLERBEYI District"
- "Abbey de la Paix"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bellapais
- Hotels in Bellapais
- Transportation in Bellapais
- Restaurants in Bellapais
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bellapais
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Bellapais?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bellapais
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Izmir Intro, 59 reviews, 69 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 28 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitola Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Cyprus Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tirana Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buyukada Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos
- Bozcaada Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos