"Ancient city of SALAMIS in North Cyprus" Salamis/Konstantia City-Site by Arkeolog
Salamis/Konstantia City-Site Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 9 photos
It is a great feeling to visit an ancient city like Salamis in spring. North Cyprus famous for its beautiful landscape and nature. Furthermore ancient cities in spring, they look more breathtaking with flowers. I did like salamis in April with blossoming flowers.
You can see ancient baths, gymnasion, theatre, houses etc in Salamis. It is a large and well planned city on the coast of Salamis.
fennels are very common in North Cyprus. Espcially when you visit North Cyprus in April, fennels welcomes you with its charming yellow flowers. I really liked what i saw about fennels in Salamis.
Fennel yields both a herb and a spice. All plant parts are edible: roots, stalks and leaves, with the spice coming from the dried seeds. A native to the Mediterranean, Fennel is an ancient and common plant known to the ancient Greeks and spread throughout Europe by Imperial Rome. It is also grown in India, the Orient, Australia, South America and has become naturalized in the US. It has been called the "meeting? seed" by the Puritans who would chew it during their long church services. The name derives from the Latin foeniculum, meaning "little hay".
The ancient city of Salamis became the capital of Cyprus as far back as 1100 BC. The city shared the destiny of the rest of the island during the successive occupations by the various dominant powers of the Near East, viz. the Assyrians, Egyptians, Persians, and Romans. The ancient site covers an area of one square mile extending along the sea shore. There is still a large area awaiting excavation and this is forested with mimosa, pine and eucThe finding of some gold coins bearing the name of Evagoras, 411 to 374 BC, is the first genuine evidence of the city's importance. A severe earthquake destroyed the city in 76 AD after which the Gymnasium with its colonnaded Palaestra was built by Trajan and Hadrian. This is the most monumental part of the site but columns differ in size because after the second great earthquake of 331 AD, the Christians set up new columns which they dragged from the Roman theatre. alyptus trees.
- Pros:History, ancient times, beach
- Cons:hot weather
- In a nutshell:Feel a real ancient city
Ancient city of Salamis is located on the Salamis Bay and that bay is ful of good quality hotels. Salamis Bay Conti... more travel advice
In Famagusta/Gazimagusa there are big internetional universities. It means a lot of young people thre. In this city you... more travel advice
Arkeolog's Related Pages
Salamis/Konstantia City-Site Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cyprus' most ancient city"
- "Ancient city of SALAMIS in North Cyprus"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salamis/Konstantia City-Site
- Hotels in Salamis/Konstantia City-Site
- Transportation in Salamis/Konstantia City-Site
- Warnings and Dangers in Salamis/Konstantia City-Site
- See All...
Explore the World
- Fair Hill
- Tapah Road Hotels
- Port Credit Hotels
- American Samoa
- Divjake Hotels
- Southern Thailand
- Necker Island Hotels
- Bonita Springs Hotels
- Le Touquet-Paris-Plage
- Mactan Island
- Shenandoah National Park
- Australia and Oceania
- Hammocks Beach State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Salamis/Konstantia City-Site
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Salamis/Konstantia City-Site?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salamis/Konstantia City-Site
Photos in Salamis/Konstantia City-SiteSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Izmir Intro, 59 reviews, 69 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 28 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitola Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Cyprus Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tirana Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buyukada Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos
- Bozcaada Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos