"SELIMIYE CAMI(MOSQUE) OR St. SOPHIA" Ayia Sophia by Arkeolog
Ayia Sophia Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 16 photos
Selimiye Mosque (St. Sophia Cathedral)
This ancient church is the chief mosque in the northern state of Cyprus, and the great festivals of Bayram and other Moslem gatherings are conducted here. It was formerly the cathedral of St. Sophia which was built in the period 1209 A.D. to 1228, over the ruins of a previous building. Only recently, in 1976, have the ruins of the ancient building before 1200 A.D. been discovered, on the southern side. In style of architecture, St. Sophia resembles the famous mediaeval cathedrals of France.
for more pls visit :
The church was severely damaged by earthquakes in 1491, 1547 and 1735 A.D. and yet, as we see it today, the cathedral has survived. What is the reason for this? One would expect such high buildings to be razed to the ground during those severe earthquakes that occurred some centuries ago, for in those days, reinforced concrete and steel girders were unknown. The builders of ancient Gothic cathedrals always strived to make them as high as possible, to reach "up to heaven" and so inspire both awe and solemnity. The problem was how to do this, and, at the same time ensure that the walls would not collapse. This was done by building stone pillars outside to support the walls which are known as buttresses. If you live in a "posh" villa in Cyprus, your walls should be supported at the corners by buttresses. If there are none, then get out of the house quickly in the next earthquake.
Bandabuliya is a complex of rests n bars. Located at the heart of Lefkosha near Selimiye Mosque-St.Sophia. Good food,... more travel advice
an another nice sample of doors of North Cyprus more travel advice
Arkeolog's Related Pages
Ayia Sophia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ayia Sophia/Selimiye Camii in Nicosia"
- "SELIMIYE CAMI(MOSQUE) OR St. SOPHIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ayia Sophia
- Nightlife in Ayia Sophia
- Restaurants in Ayia Sophia
- Shopping in Ayia Sophia
- Warnings and Dangers in Ayia Sophia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ayia Sophia
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Ayia Sophia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ayia Sophia
Photos in Ayia SophiaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Izmir Intro, 59 reviews, 69 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 28 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitola Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Cyprus Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tirana Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buyukada Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos
- Bozcaada Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos