"Ankara, Modern Capital of Turkiye..." Ankara by Arkeolog
Ankara Travel Guide: 374 reviews and 1,293 photos
PHOTO: Founder of the modern Republic of TURKIYE, M. KEMAL ATATURK...
The city of Ankara lies in the center of Anatolia on the eastern edge of the great, high Anatolian Plateau, at an altitude of 850 meters. It is the center of the province of the same name, which Is a predominantly fertile wheat steppeland with forested areas in its northeast region. It is bordered by the provinces of Cankiri and Bolu to the north, Eskisehir to the west, Konya and Aksaray to the south, and Kirikkale and Kirsehir to the east.
The region's history goes back to the Bronze Age, Hatti Civilization, which was succeeded in the 2nd millennium BC by the Hittites, then the Phrygians (10th century BC); Lydians and Persians followed. After these came the Galatians, a Celtic race who were the first to make Ankara their capital (3rd century BC). It was then known as Ancyra, meaning anchor. The town subsequently fell to the Romans, Byzantines, and Selcuks under Alpaslan in 1073, and then to the Ottomans under Yildirim Beyazit in 1402, who remained in control until the First World War.
The town, once an important trading center on the caravan route to the east, had declined in importance by the nineteenth century. It became an important center again when Kemal Atat?rk chose it as the base from which to direct the War of Liberation. In consequence of its role in the war and its strategic position, it was declared the capital of the new Turkish Republic on the 13th October,1923.
Ataturk, Manevi kizlarindan Nebile Hanim'la dugunn toreni sirasinda
dans ederken (17 Ocak 1929)
Dancing with the bride Nebile, one of his adopted daughters (17 January 1929)
Baklava is one of the traditional desserts which is best known and made in all regions. The type which is prepared with... more travel advice
ANITKABIR (Ataturk Mausoleum ): Unlike many famous leaders, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk never requested a monumental tomb for... more travel advice
Arkeolog's Related Pages
Ankara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ANKARA capital"
- "the capital of Turkey"
- "Ankara - capital of Turkey"
- "Ankara - the capital of Turkey"
- "Ankara-The heart of Türkiye"
- "Ankara, Capital of the Republic"
- "Ankara - All four seasons in four days"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ankara
- Hotels in Ankara
- Transportation in Ankara
- Nightlife in Ankara
- Restaurants in Ankara
- Shopping in Ankara
- Warnings and Dangers in Ankara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ankara
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Ankara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ankara
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Izmir Intro, 59 reviews, 69 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 28 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitola Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Cyprus Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tirana Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buyukada Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos
- Bozcaada Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos