"Ankara, Modern Capital of Turkiye..." Ankara by Arkeolog

Ankara Travel Guide: 374 reviews and 1,293 photos

PHOTO: Founder of the modern Republic of TURKIYE, M. KEMAL ATATURK...

The city of Ankara lies in the center of Anatolia on the eastern edge of the great, high Anatolian Plateau, at an altitude of 850 meters. It is the center of the province of the same name, which Is a predominantly fertile wheat steppeland with forested areas in its northeast region. It is bordered by the provinces of Cankiri and Bolu to the north, Eskisehir to the west, Konya and Aksaray to the south, and Kirikkale and Kirsehir to the east.
The region's history goes back to the Bronze Age, Hatti Civilization, which was succeeded in the 2nd millennium BC by the Hittites, then the Phrygians (10th century BC); Lydians and Persians followed. After these came the Galatians, a Celtic race who were the first to make Ankara their capital (3rd century BC). It was then known as Ancyra, meaning anchor. The town subsequently fell to the Romans, Byzantines, and Selcuks under Alpaslan in 1073, and then to the Ottomans under Yildirim Beyazit in 1402, who remained in control until the First World War.

The town, once an important trading center on the caravan route to the east, had declined in importance by the nineteenth century. It became an important center again when Kemal Atat?rk chose it as the base from which to direct the War of Liberation. In consequence of its role in the war and its strategic position, it was declared the capital of the new Turkish Republic on the 13th October,1923.

Ataturk, Manevi kizlarindan Nebile Hanim'la dugunn toreni sirasinda
dans ederken (17 Ocak 1929)
Dancing with the bride Nebile, one of his adopted daughters (17 January 1929)

• Intro Updated Dec 17, 2005

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2009 at 6:07 AM

I remember my interesting visit to the museum and mausoleum.

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2009 at 4:13 AM

You have great pages, thank you for sharing.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Ankara sounds so interesting. I'd love to visit one of the Turkish cities well away from the tourist resorts. This description of what to see there is very detailed and helpful :)

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Lovely Ankara page! We have not been to Ankara yet and we hope to visit Ankara one day on our next trip to Turkey. Thanks for visiting our Monaco page. ~ho & pang

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Ankara looks interesting - I think I'd be kept busy with the museums and a visit to Ataturk's mausoleum would be a 'must'.

• risse73's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Thanks for visiting my Frederick page. You've got a comprehensive list of museums & mosques on your Ankara page. I enjoyed reading your tips. Still dreaming of the day I finally get to visit Turkey. Cheers! -Marissa-

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2009 at 11:25 AM

very comprehensive Ankara museum tip...hope I'll visit someday! and yummy....BAKLAVA!!!!

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Lots of good information on Ankara. We enjoyed our visit there this summer. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to see all of the sights that you have listed!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2008 at 1:12 AM

Thanks Bora for bringing back sweet memories about this wonderful city!

• Lienem's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2005 at 10:18 AM

I would really like to go to Ankara. Thx for nice information!

Arkeolog Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Ankara