"BUYUKADA" Top 5 Page for this destination Buyukada by Arkeolog
Buyukada Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 170 photos
One can experience many different aspects of Istanbul’s unique geographical situation, but its islands are particularly popular during the summer months. Throughout history these islands have been known by various names, but they are most frequently referred to as the Prince Islands or the Istanbul Islands. Countless domestic and foreign tourists visit these islands every summer.
The Princes Islands are a group of nine islands located very close to Istanbul. During the summer months they host tourists from all over Turkey as well as from many countries around the world. The largest and most central of these nine islands is Büyükada, previously known as Prinkipo, and it is definitely the most popular.
Büyükada is one of my favourite spring destination..
Touring by horse-drawn carriage is not enough if you really want to explore Büyükada, however, for there are many surprises waiting to be discovered on foot. The architecture on the island is really worth seeing. Examples of 19th Century European architecture are quite common on the island and there are many structures built in the Art Nouveau style. In addition to European influences in the architecture of the homes, traditional Turkish architectural features also add to the visual variety on Büyükada. One of the eye-catching buildings on the island worth mentioning is the Splendid Palace Hotel, a building that has some of the most striking architecture on the island. Opened in 1908, the red and white appearance of the hotel and its domes attract admiring glances from everyone who comes to the island. The hotel has been hosting guests for 100 years with a distinctive combination of traditional hospitality and European style. In short, the Splendid Palace Hotel should be at the top of the list for anyone who wants to have a unique experience on Büyükada.
When the ferry approaches to Büyükada houses and their details catch the eyes...
- Pros:silent and quiet
- Cons:crowded in summer esp weekends
- In a nutshell:hidden paradise in Istanbul
It is the only one shop where you can buy t-shirts, mugs, wall hangings etc with the drawings of Buyukada or other... more travel advice
It is an absolute ferry classic in Istanbul. Feeding the seagulls from ferry is a must do when you visit Istanbul. Buy a... more travel advice
Arkeolog's Related Pages
Buyukada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buyukada - Biggest from the Princes' Islands"
- "Buyukada - escape to intercultural island"
- "The big island"
- "Buyukada: An Island Without Rush Hour"
- "Buyukada, Prince of a Princess Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Buyukada
- Hotels in Buyukada
- Transportation in Buyukada
- Restaurants in Buyukada
- Shopping in Buyukada
- Warnings and Dangers in Buyukada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Buyukada
- 21 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Buyukada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Buyukada
Photos in BuyukadaSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Izmir Intro, 59 reviews, 69 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 28 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitola Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Cyprus Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tirana Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buyukada Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos
- Bozcaada Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos