"CANDARLI / ANCIENT PITANE" Candarli by Arkeolog
Candarli Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 3 photos
Çandarli, is a sub-district of Dikili and is 20km from Dikili. It is a peninsula, surrounded by the sea on three sides. It is famous for its delicious fish, a place to relax, and offers some superb diving opportunities.
Candarli Genoese FortressÇandarli Castle is one of the best-preserved castles in Turkey. Built in the 13th &14th century it was restored in 1995. Some vases and small pieces of other art works that were found in the excavations (Pitane) are exhibited in the Bergama Archaeological Museum. The castle has five towers, constructed in the Ottoman period on the Hellenistic foundations. Dominating the sea to the west, it was restored during the reign of Mahmut II and recently by the Department of Antiquities.
Candarli Fortress View To the north of this castle lies a site, now called Tuzla or Terazi, where the statue of a Kouros (V.cent.B.C.) was discovered by chance in the winter of 1958 (9). The excavations conducted here by the Ankara University brought to light a large necropolis, containing thousands of funeral urns and belonging to the VIIth and VIth centuries BC Some of these finds are exhibited now at the Pergamon Museum and some others at the museums of izmir and Istanbul.
Candarli Coastline Pitane became, like Elaea, a harbour-city of Pergamon during the Hellenistic period. According to Strabo (XIII,I.67),it had two natural harbours. The one to the west was sheltered by a mole, the remains of which may still be seen in the sea.
Pitane was known as the birthplace of the philosopher Arcesilaus (316-241 BC) (10). The ancient authors, such as Strabo (XIII, 614) claimed that bricks which floated in water were made at Pitane; but no specimens survive today.
Some remains of the city-wall, about 2.5 meters thick, which followed the coastline of the peninsula, are preserved here and there. Of the other monuments of Pitane, only the site of a theatre and a stadium to the south can be recognized.
An Archaic male statue - a kouros- found in Pitane and now displaying in Bergama Archaeological Museum. It's unique and... more travel advice
Arkeolog's Related Pages
Candarli Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Candarli
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Candarli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Candarli
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Izmir Intro, 59 reviews, 69 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 28 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitola Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Cyprus Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tirana Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buyukada Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos
- Bozcaada Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos