"DIKILI" Dikili by Arkeolog
Dikili Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 7 photos
Dikili is situated at the north of Izmir, and opposite the Greek Island of Lebos/Mitilini.
This charming county which is 120 km. away from Izmir, attracts Turkish tourists with its lovely beaches and clear water. The excavations revealed that the history of Dikili goes back to 4000-5000 B.C.
The drive into Dikili from Izmir (once out of the city) offers some spectacular scenery. For the most of the journey it is a straight road. Although the transfer is 2 hours I believe this is start of the holiday so try to book in daylight hours.
The scenery consists of mountains, olive groves, vineyards and cotton fields. See the people working the land; horses and carts are still widely in use. Alternatively, how about the sight of a tractor with about 20 workers hanging on for dear life. This is where you start to get a feel for real Turkish life.
Dikili is a seaside fishing town that is made up of mainly holiday villas and a few hotels. The charming centre with cobbled streets has restaurants, bars and shops.
American and European tourists from cruise ships briefly pass through on their way to Bergama. This means that although the resort remains uncommercialised, the locals are used to and interested in foreign visitors.
Dikili becomes largely deserted in the winter, except for the die-hard residents that live there all year round.
In the summer months, Turkish tourists with summerhouses venture there for their holidays, and at weekends.
Arkeolog's Related Pages
Dikili Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Dikili
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Dikili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dikili
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Izmir Intro, 59 reviews, 69 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 28 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitola Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Cyprus Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tirana Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buyukada Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos
- Bozcaada Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos