"IZMIR , The Holy Land Which is 5000 years old..." Top 5 Page for this destination Izmir by Arkeolog
Izmir Travel Guide: 454 reviews and 1,275 photos
Izmir is the third biggest city in Turkey with a population of around 2.5 million, the second biggest port after Istanbul, and a good transport hub. Once the ancient city of Smyrna, it is now a modern, developed, and busy commercial centre, set around a huge bay and surrounded by mountains and was. The broad boulevards, glass-fronted buildings and modern shopping centres are dotted with traditional red-tiled roofs, the 18th century market, and old mosques and churches, although the city has an atmosphere more of Mediterranean Europe than traditional Turkey.
The climate is comfortable, with a relatively mild summer due to the refreshing breeze from the Aegean. The long attractive palm-fringed promenade, Birinci Kordon, which stretches the entire length of the city up to the Alsancak Ferry Terminal, is a popular spot for evening walks, and there are many cafes along the waterfront. Izmir has a good selection of culture and entertainment, from the Archaeological and Ethnographic Museums, to the Izmir State Opera and Ballet and Izmir State Symphony Orchestra, to the many bars and clubs. The cosmopolitan and lively city gets even busier during the International Izmir Festival (mid-June to mid-July) with music and dance, with performances also in nearby Cesme and Ephesus.
Asansör (Street Elevator) : The elevator was constructed by Jewish businessman Nesim Levi in 1907, in order to make life easier for the local residents going to their mansions on top of the hill. These days tourists use it to admire the views of the old streets and houses of Mithatpasa. Located in the heart of Izmir’s old Jewish quarter, it is housed in a 50m-high brick tower and after refurbishment in 1992 it now contains a café on the top floor, and the original hydraulics are exhibited on the ground floor. In its heyday in the 1930s, it also contained a theatre, cinema, refreshment stall and photographer’s shop.
Clock tower the symbol of Izmir is in Konak Square - the heart of the city.
It was built in 1901 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Abduhamit II's accession to the throne. The clock itsetf was a gift of Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany. it is decorated in an elaborate; late Ottoman style. The 25 meter high tower is currently being restored.
- Pros:Nice place, good frood n friedly people
- Cons:too much places to visit :)
- In a nutshell:5000 years old city
St. John the Evangelist, Alsancak The first Anglican Church was built in Izmir about 1625. The present building was... more travel advice
I miss old historical house architecture of Izmir when I'm far from Izmir. Esp. photographing those houses always... more travel advice
- See All Homeland of Poet Homer
- See All Eating LOKMA
- Dont take taxi from airport to the...
- See All adnan menderes airport
Arkeolog's Related Pages
Izmir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Pearl of the Aegean sea"
- "IZMIR , The Holy Land Which is 5000 years old..."
- ""The Beautiful Smirna""
- "IZMIR (SMYRNA)"
- "Foreign Izmir..."
- "Izmir - Konak"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Izmir
- Hotels in Izmir
- Transportation in Izmir
- Nightlife in Izmir
- Restaurants in Izmir
- Shopping in Izmir
- Warnings and Dangers in Izmir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Izmir
- 59 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 175 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Izmir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Izmir
- Posted in Travel Buyukada Forum "Re: October in Buyukada"
- Commented on one of Pinat's Izmir travel pages
- Wrote a Review Church of St. John the Evangelist, Alsancak in Izmir Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Church of St. John the Evangelist, Alsancak"
- updated a Izmir Travel Page "IZMIR , The Holy Land Which is 5000 years old..."
Photos in IzmirSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Izmir Intro, 59 reviews, 69 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 28 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitola Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gokceada Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Cyprus Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tirana Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buyukada Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos
- Bozcaada Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos