"Coggeshall in Essex, England - A Quaint Village" Coggeshall by IeatTofu

Coggeshall Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 74 photos

Village Life in Coggeshall

I've been living in Coggeshall, Essex for almost two years now. I'm American and Coggeshall represents the exact image I had in my mind of what Classic England would look like! If I had to choose one word to describe this little village, it would be "Charming."

There are historic, timber-framed buildings everywhere you look. Our own home is 200+ years old and it is one of the youngest houses in the village.

At the center of the village is this big Clock Tower. Surrounding this clock in the "Market Hill" area are all the little shops and restaurants.

Great Community and Friendly People

One of the things I love most about living in Coggeshall is the close community. The people are so friendly, and with a population of around 5,000, you find that everyone seems to know everyone.

I have made some great friends in the brief time that I've lived here and am pleased to live in such a welcoming community.

Shops and Restaurants

Surprisingly, our little village gets a fair amount of tourists visiting on the weekends. We live in a home on one of the main streets in the center of town and on weekends we find people walking around taking photos. People often comment that Coggeshall is the way England was hundreds of years ago.

In the village there are quite a few little shops and restaurants. We have a couple of nice, fine dining restaurants and some more casual places to eat as well. Of course we have the usual chip shop, Indian restaurant, and Chinese restaurant that all English towns seem to have as well.

• Pros:Great Old World, Classic English Town
  • Cons:No Starbucks in town! Haha!
  • In a nutshell:Coggeshall is a Classic English Town, the way England Used to Be...
  • Intro Updated Dec 21, 2005

• sirenna's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Lovely Coggeshall tips and pictures. I'm getting homesick for quaint English country villages! :)

• doreenellen's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2006 at 10:46 AM

Lovely photos again and lots of information. I too love the countryside and agree Coggeshall is Quaint.

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2006 at 3:05 PM

Very nice page - the White Hart is one of our favourites !

• Hermanater's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2006 at 9:14 PM

Happy Birthday....I enjoyed your pages.

• Dec 21, 2005 at 11:00 AM

Hi Cindy - great start here! I don't think I've ever been to Coggeshall. Oh IeatTofu2 (but prefer quorn ;-)

IeatTofu Lives Here!

IeatTofu

“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. - Ralph Waldo Emerson”

Badges & Stats in Coggeshall

Have you been to Coggeshall?

Latest Activity in Coggeshall