"Gent - Go There - Drink Beer" Top 5 Page for this destination Gent by St_Vincent
Gent Travel Guide: 1,437 reviews and 3,724 photos
So, is it Gent or is it Ghent, I guess the jury is out. I believe that Gent is the local spelling and that is the one used on VT but I've always known it as Ghent. Anyway, for the purposes of my "place in the region of Provincie Oost-Vlaanderen" page on VT I will use the term Gent, for two reasons. Firstly that having been there I feel entitled to use the local spelling and secondly, I tossed a coin and it came down heads.
I first visited Gent in February 2006 and the inspiration was my fellow travelling companions. I normally hold a few days holiday over from the previous year and go away somewhere in January or February. So when one of my mates suggested a Belgian Beer Hunt I set about arranging things. After deciding on Gent and sending out a dozen invites I got four firm commitments and the Great Belgian Beer Hunt was on.
The participants were Michael, our beer consultant and a thoroughly good bloke despite being a Kiwi, Keith who rarely drinks anything less than 5%, the father and son partnership of David and James, and of course myself. All of these august Gentlemen had accompanied me on previous trips to either Prague, Budapest or both.
Eurostar was quite clearly our chariot of choice and a good choice it was, London Waterloo to the first beer in our hotel in Gent in a little over four hours (please note that from Mid November 2007 the Eurostar terminal in London will move from Waterloo to Kings Cross). Our hotel was the Novotel Gent Centrum and the location was influenced by the tips of VT member Win (RhineRoll), local Gent information was courtesy of Luc's (Luchonda) excellent page. Thanks to you both.
As befits a group of five blokes in the pursuit of ebriety, we spent much of our time in bars with the occasional bout of sleeping in between, although veteran Keith managed to combine the two at one stage. We did however take in our fair share of culture and history with The Belfry, St Bavo's Cathedral, St Nicholas' Church and the old harbour area all within close walking distance. In fact if I had to give one piece of advice to anyone thinking about visiting Gent it would be don't worry too much about location, you can walk to almost anywhere. We also managed a few hours (i.e. bars) in Brugge, which is only around 20-30 minutes away.
Hope you enjoy my Gent tips, as any regular visitor to my pages will understand, they mostly involve bars and beer with a little culture and history thrown in.
St. Pieters is the main train station and this is where you will arrive if coming from Brussels, Brugge, Antwerp etc.... more travel advice
We ate there on a Monday night and although it was very quiet the waiting staff gave the impression that they were doing... more travel advice
- See All Bread and Board
- See All Get the beers in
- It's a disgrace
- See All No watered down beer here
St_Vincent's Related Pages
Gent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ghent - my hometown"
- "July 21 in Ghent: exotic!"
- "Gent – Flemish city of three towers"
- "Simply Put: A Fabulous City"
- "Gent - Go There - Drink Beer"
- "A love affair begins...."
- "Ghent: The rebellious city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gent
- Hotels in Gent
- Transportation in Gent
- Nightlife in Gent
- Restaurants in Gent
- Shopping in Gent
- Warnings and Dangers in Gent
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gent
- 21 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Gent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gent
- Posted in Travel Birmingham Forum "Re: Birmingham to derby"
- Commented on one of unaS's Gent travel pages
- updated a Gent Travel Page "Gent - Go There - Drink Beer"
- Wrote a Review St. Pieters train station to the centre in Gent Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Novotel Gent Centrum Hotel restaurant"
Photos in GentSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination St Albans Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derby Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hythe Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos
- England Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Folkestone Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos