Edinburgh Transportation Tips by St_Vincent
Edinburgh Transportation: 203 reviews and 168 photos
The bus service in Edinburgh and the surrounding areas is one of the best I have encountered. There are plenty of buses, a very comprehensive network and maps that are easy to read. As of May 2009 a single journey of any distance is just £1.20 and you can get a day ticket for £3. Tickets can be bought on the bus, exact change is required, or there are ticket machines at some bus stops.
Some of the main bus stops also have useful indicator boards giving details of when the next buses are due to arrive and their destination.
Phone: 0131 555 6363
Edinburgh is a smallish single terminal airport that is quite easy to move around. There are good transport links to the city centre and usually a long line of taxis waiting, although you do have a bit of a walk to get to them. A taxi into the centre will be around £15-£20 depending on traffic and your final destination. A better option in my opinion is the Airlink Bus no.100 which stops right outside the arrivals building, just look to your right as you exit. Tickets can be bought either on board or at the kiosk by the bus stop and cost £3.50 one-way or £6.00 for an open return (£2 & £3 for children). These buses run 24 hours a day, every 10 minutes during peak times and every 30 minutes during the night. The journey into the centre takes around 30 minutes and there are convenient stops along the way for the main hotels and the two train stations. Some regular buses also run from the airport bus they do take a lot longer and go via some of the outlying areas.
Note that the prices mentioned above are from a visit in May 2009.
Phone: 0131 555 6363
More Reviews (11)
St_Vincent's Related Pages
Edinburgh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Edinburgh Travel - A Special City - A Special View"
- "Scotland's Capital City"
- "Embra - Scotlands Capital City"
- "A guide to Edinburgh dining & nightlife"
- "Edinburgh - the capital of Scotland"
- "Opera and Graduation in Edinburgh"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Edinburgh
- Hotels in Edinburgh
- Transportation in Edinburgh
- Nightlife in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Shopping in Edinburgh
- Warnings and Dangers in Edinburgh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Edinburgh
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Edinburgh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edinburgh
- Wrote a Review City Centre Gridlock in Edinburgh Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Edinburgh's Bus Services"
- updated a Edinburgh Travel Page "Edinburgh - Visit, Explore and Enjoy"
- Posted in Travel Birmingham Forum "Re: Birmingham to derby"
- Commented on one of Bushman23's Edinburgh travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination St Albans Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derby Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hythe Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos
- England Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Folkestone Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (8)
- Castle, including National War Museum and National War Memorial- 255 Reviews, 393 Photos
- Arthur's Seat, Holyrood Park and Salisbury Crags- 42 Reviews, 95 Photos
- Calton Hill- 66 Reviews, 159 Photos
- Royal Mile aka High Street- 63 Reviews, 110 Photos
- Tours- 53 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Scott Monument- 61 Reviews, 115 Photos
- Holyroodhouse Palace and Abbey- 68 Reviews, 130 Photos
- Greyfriars Kirk or Church including Greyfriars Bobby grave and memorial- 40 Reviews, 88 Photos
- Camera Obscura- 22 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Military Tattoo- 20 Reviews, 30 Photos
See All Edinburgh Things to Do