"Grappling with Folkestone" Top 5 Page for this destination Folkestone by St_Vincent
Folkestone Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 199 photos
My association with Folkestone started back in the late 1960's and 1970's when family holidays were taken at Hythe just along the coast. Most years we took a trip into Folkestone to visit the Rotunda and harbour area and have an ice cream on the Leas. Often we would go to the Leas Cliff Hall to watch the sporting spectacular that was wrestling, Jackie Pallo, Mick McManus, Big Daddy (a.k.a. Shirley Crabtree), Giant Haystack etc. ahhhh...those were the days.
More recently I decided to relive some memories and went back for a couple of long weekends in 2004. Nothing much seems to have changed, the Leas Cliff Hall is still there with its wonderful views over the Channel but sadly the wrestling scene these days is dominated by the stage managed offering from the USA. Of course, there was nothing false about Big Daddy & Co. they were real sportsmen.
My most recent visit was with a few friends in March 2009. The Rotunda area has now been demolished and is awaiting redevelopment.
The Leas is effectively Folkestone's promenade, although due to the coastline it actually sits some way above sea level.... more travel advice
If you are in Folkestone make some time to go to the harbour area and have a stroll through the railway arches. The... more travel advice
St_Vincent's Related Pages
Folkestone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY HOME TOWN"
- "Folkestone... Near Dover!"
- "Grappling with Folkestone"
- "The Port of Folkestone"
- "Nice Folkes"
- "Folkestone Kent"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Folkestone
- Hotels in Folkestone
- Transportation in Folkestone
- Nightlife in Folkestone
- Restaurants in Folkestone
- Shopping in Folkestone
- Warnings and Dangers in Folkestone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Folkestone
- 10 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Folkestone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Folkestone
- Posted in Travel Birmingham Forum "Re: Birmingham to derby"
- Wrote a Review Take a stroll along the Leas in Folkestone Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Take a stroll along the Leas"
- updated a Folkestone Travel Page "Grappling with Folkestone"
- Commented on one of whitecliff62's Folkestone travel pages
Photos in FolkestoneSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination St Albans Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derby Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hythe Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos
- England Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Folkestone Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos