"Watford - My Home Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Watford by St_Vincent
Watford Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 98 photos
Although I have lived in Watford since 1989 I wanted to go back a bit further when researching its history so thought a good place to start would be the Domesday Book. What I found was that Watford is not mentioned by name but it seems to be accepted that it was part of the entry for Cashio, which is as follows,
"The Abbot holds Cashio. It was rated for 20 hides; the abbot has 19 of them. The arable is 22 hides, in demesne 6 hides. There are three French men born and 36 villeins and 8 bordars who hold 15 ploughs. Three bordars besides and two serfs, four mills. There is meadow for 22 plough teams common pasture sufficient for the livestock and woodland for 1,000 swine. It is worth 28 pounds: in the time of Edward the Confessor 30 pounds. Turold held one hide of Goisfride de Maneville in Cashio. Alfred, huntsman to Queen Editha, held this land."
Cashio was at that time (1085) a Norman manor caught under the feudal system and the Lord of the Manor was the Abbot of St. Albans (now a nearby city that you can read about in my St. Albans page). The 36 villeins referred to were tenants who held 30 acres, bordars held 5 acres, and serfs were landless men or slaves. The 'three French men' may have been members of the monastery.
After the dissolution of the monasteries, King Henry VIII declared himself Lord of the Manor and subsequently sold it to Richard Morrison in 1545. He built a family estate that eventually becoming home to the Earl of Essex. After it passed through a number of family members the 8th Earl of Essex moved out due to the cost of upkeep and in 1909 most of the estate was sold to Watford Council who demolished the house and used the land for housing and a public park. So now in Watford we have an area that is referred to as the Cassiobury estate and also the wonderful Cassiobury Park which is where the above photo was taken.
This hotel is quite close to me in Watford but as it is new I thought I'd try it out and it also allowed me to get to an... more travel advice
The transport links to and from Watford are excellent and the hub is Watford Junction train station, just a 20 minute... more travel advice
St_Vincent's Related Pages
Watford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Watford - My Home Town"
- "Watford- Englands Best Town"
- "Watford, Hertfordshire"
- "Hmmm Watford"
- "Watford, Herts, UK"
- "Watford - Centre of the Universe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Watford
- Hotels in Watford
- Transportation in Watford
- Nightlife in Watford
- Restaurants in Watford
- Shopping in Watford
- Warnings and Dangers in Watford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Watford
- 8 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Watford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Watford
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination St Albans Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derby Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hythe Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos
- England Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Folkestone Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos