"Navarra Province" Provincia de Navarra by isabeau
Provincia de Navarra Travel Guide: 469 reviews and 1,754 photos
From San Sebastian, I gradually bused my way to Barcelona, making stops in Pamplona, Olite, Zaragosa, Tarragona, and Sitges along the way.
I arrived in Pamplona, on a Sunday, in the midst of a lively Basque Festival. From my room at Hotel Eslava, I could hear loud music coming from a hard rock band performing in the park. I also had a priviledged view of a convent, surrounded by high walls, which must have been overwhelmed by the sounds coming from outside its cloistered existence.
Pamplona didn't feel touristy...maybe because I wasn't there during the running of the bulls. I was there only for a night and spent much of that time in the park, and at Plaza del Castillo, talking to locals and imagining what it must have been like when Hemingway visited. The people in Pamplona are very friendly...I look forward to a longer visit in the future.
The boy in the foreground of the photo is wearing a sailor's outfit. I noticed a few boys dressed like this, on that Sunday in the plaza, and I asked someone about it. I was told that they were dressed like this for their first communion.
The Palace of Olite is the former home of the Kings of Navarra. Part of the palace has been converted into a very nice parador.
The town itself is very charming, and has a very interesting wine museum. At the end of the tour I was given a bottle of Navarran wine.
The small Church of Santa Maria, which is part of the Olite Palace Complex, has a beautiful retablo inside.
This is a view of Olite, at sunset, from the roof of the palace. The smell of jasmine filled the air.
The Olite Palace is the centerpiece of the small village of Olite. The parador occupies part of the medieval... more travel advice
isabeau's Related Pages
Provincia de Navarra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Leyre Monastery"
- "SURPRISING LAND"
- "Navarra Province"
- "County of Wine and Bulls"
- "PRO LIBERTATE PATRIA GENS LIBERA STATE"
- "Stunning Navarre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincia de Navarra
- Hotels in Provincia de Navarra
- Transportation in Provincia de Navarra
- Nightlife in Provincia de Navarra
- Restaurants in Provincia de Navarra
- Shopping in Provincia de Navarra
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincia de Navarra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincia de Navarra
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Provincia de Navarra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincia de Navarra
Photos in Provincia de NavarraSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Marrakesh Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Provincia de Navarra Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cavtat Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Perast Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Segovia Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos, 1 travelogue
- Axpe Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- San Sebastián Intro, 2 photos
- Guatemala Intro, 1 photo
- Bilbao Intro, 1 photo
No friends yet.