"Navarra Province" Provincia de Navarra by isabeau

Provincia de Navarra Travel Guide: 468 reviews and 1,740 photos

A Taste of Pamplona

From San Sebastian, I gradually bused my way to Barcelona, making stops in Pamplona, Olite, Zaragosa, Tarragona, and Sitges along the way.

I arrived in Pamplona, on a Sunday, in the midst of a lively Basque Festival. From my room at Hotel Eslava, I could hear loud music coming from a hard rock band performing in the park. I also had a priviledged view of a convent, surrounded by high walls, which must have been overwhelmed by the sounds coming from outside its cloistered existence.

Pamplona didn't feel touristy...maybe because I wasn't there during the running of the bulls. I was there only for a night and spent much of that time in the park, and at Plaza del Castillo, talking to locals and imagining what it must have been like when Hemingway visited. The people in Pamplona are very friendly...I look forward to a longer visit in the future.

The boy in the foreground of the photo is wearing a sailor's outfit. I noticed a few boys dressed like this, on that Sunday in the plaza, and I asked someone about it. I was told that they were dressed like this for their first communion.

From Pamplona to Olite

The Palace of Olite is the former home of the Kings of Navarra. Part of the palace has been converted into a very nice parador.

The town itself is very charming, and has a very interesting wine museum. At the end of the tour I was given a bottle of Navarran wine.

The small Church of Santa Maria, which is part of the Olite Palace Complex, has a beautiful retablo inside.

Olite

This is a view of Olite, at sunset, from the roof of the palace. The smell of jasmine filled the air.

• Last visit to Provincia de Navarra: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 6, 2007

Comments

isabeau

“If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud. ~ Zola”

Badges & Stats in Provincia de Navarra

Have you been to Provincia de Navarra?

Latest Activity in Provincia de Navarra