"Neva and the Hoover Dam" Nevada by pattypoo
Nevada Travel Guide: 10,550 reviews and 22,899 photos
The Hoover Dam was constructed in 1930 to bring much needed water and power to the South West of the USA. It straddles the mighty Colorada river and borders Arizona and Nevada.
Thousands of men and their families went to the Black Canyon to help build the dam which only took five years to build in a hot and barren land.
The Hoover Dam got its name from the 31st President Mr Herbert Hoover and on February 14th 1931 the name was made official. After Mr. Hoover left office, the names "Boulder Canyon Dam" and "Boulder Dam" were frequently used when referring to the dam, allegedly because the new Secretary of the Interior did not like Mr. Hoover. However, the name of the dam was never officially changed from "Hoover Dam so the name remains the same today.
- Pros:A Gigantic dam
- Cons:None a must see
pattypoo's Related Pages
Nevada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Big Bold Beautiful Country"
- "Carson Valley 2003"
- "GEMS BEYOND THE STRIP"
- "Home in the Great Basin"
- "NEVADA: Awesome Landscapes"
- "Beyond The Desert And Casinos"
- "Sneaking into Nevada under cover of darkness!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nevada
- Hotels in Nevada
- Transportation in Nevada
- Nightlife in Nevada
- Restaurants in Nevada
- Shopping in Nevada
- Warnings and Dangers in Nevada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nevada
- 2 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Nevada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nevada
Top 10 Pages
- Cardiff Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Saint Fagans Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Aberdare Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kew Gardens Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Merthyr Tydfil Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bahrain Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Burradoo Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Laugharne Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brecon Beacons Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue