"My home Town" Caerphilly by pattypoo
Caerphilly Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 414 photos
Caerphilly Castle is one of the largest Castles in the United Kingdom built in 1268-1271. By Anglo-Norman Lord Gilbert de Clare.
Caerphilly is also the birth place of the wonderful comic Tommy Cooper who was born here 1921.
On February 23rd 2008 Sir Anthony Hopkins unveiled a nine foot statue of the comic who was believed to be one of the greatest comics ever...The statue was erected opposite Caerphilly Castle overlooking the Town. Sir Anthony had stated it was an honour to unveil it because he himself is a dedicated Tommy Cooper fan....The Tommy Cooper society raised £45000 for the statue.
This beautiful Castle is just like a child would imagine a fairy tale Castle to look like. Its in the llittle village of Tongwynlais about five miles ouside Caerphilly and the Castle can be seen from the A470 and M4.
A ruined thirteenth century fortress built by William Burges for the thrid Marquess of Bute, It still has a working drawbridge and portcullis and was probably a fantasy when built
Today though, it is open to the public and many brides have had there weddings receptions there, Although very small its a beautiful fairytale wooded setting,,
- Pros:Nice castle
- Cons:Not much else sorry only the scenery
pattypoo's Related Pages
Caerphilly Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Caerphilly - Famous for its' Castle and Cheese..."
- "Caerphilly Rains"
- "ordinary town with a medieval castle!"
- "Caerphilly - famous for two things!"
- "Home of the cheese and the castle"
- "Caerphilly, famed for cheese and leaning castle"
- "Caerphilly - Caerffili"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caerphilly
- Transportation in Caerphilly
- Restaurants in Caerphilly
- Shopping in Caerphilly
- Warnings and Dangers in Caerphilly
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caerphilly
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Caerphilly?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caerphilly
Top 10 Pages
- Cardiff Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Saint Fagans Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Aberdare Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kew Gardens Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Merthyr Tydfil Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bahrain Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Burradoo Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Laugharne Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brecon Beacons Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue