"Welcome to Merthyr Tydfil" Merthyr Tydfil by pattypoo
Merthyr Tydfil Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 49 photos
Cyfarthfa Castle was designed by Richard Lugar and was actually built as a house in 1825 by the Crawshay family who were ironmasters at a cost of £30,000. Then in 1888 the family returned to their Berkshire estate and sold the Cyfarthfa Castle to the local council for the grand sum of £15,000. It opened as a museum, grammar school and public park in 1910.
The grounds consist of 160 acres of mixed parkland which is a legacy to William the 11 who arranged the planting of the now mature woodlands which was once bleak hillsides, today the park is used for many events including concerts. outdoor theatres and many other attractions in the summer months.
This is the front entrance of the Castle but probably not the one used to often by the Crawshay's as it faces right out to all winds and weathers.
This is a photo of the Taff Vale Railway Viaduct which is a amazing piece of engineering seen fron the front of Cyfarthfa Castle.
- Pros:Nice place to visit and entrance is free
- In a nutshell:A old iron work town
pattypoo's Related Pages
Merthyr Tydfil Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Merthyr Tydfil"
- "Merthyr Tydfil"
- "Donny comes home tour."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Merthyr Tydfil
- Nightlife in Merthyr Tydfil
- Restaurants in Merthyr Tydfil
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Merthyr Tydfil
- 1 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Merthyr Tydfil?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Merthyr Tydfil
Photos in Merthyr TydfilSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Cardiff Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Saint Fagans Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Aberdare Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kew Gardens Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Merthyr Tydfil Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bahrain Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Burradoo Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Laugharne Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brecon Beacons Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue