"Tynemouth" Top 5 Page for this destination Tynemouth by geordieontour
Tynemouth Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 204 photos
Tynemouth is a village located at the mouth of the River Tyne on the North-East coast of England, 6 miles from the centre of the city of Newcastle upon Tyne.
It has stunning beaches permitting a wide range of water sports, including surfing, sailing, wind surfing, jetski, sub-aqua, swimming and canoeing.
Prominent on the headland overlooking the river are the Tynemouth Priory and Castle, dating back to the 11th Century. The village itself is now a conservation area mostly comprised of buildings from the 18th and 19th century.
This is my local every week either out for a walk or for a drink and eats, after 40 years still enjoying the changes, the people, and the crack.
It is thought that a wooden chapel was built on this land by Edwin the great king of Northumbria about 627 a.d. This was replaced by a stone church during the reign of Oswald.
In 875 a.d. the Viking raiders completely destroyed Tynemouth Abbey, murdering the nuns and burning to death the monks who took shelter in a little church dedicated to St. Cuthbert.
For almost 200 years there was no monastic life. It was not until Norman times that monks began to return and rebuild. In 1090, under the protection of Robert de Mowbray, Earl of Northumberland, Benedictine monks from St. Alban's settled at Tynemouth and began to make improvements.
See review below
Still a good day out, but starting to repeat past years, needs to have a major rethink! more travel advice
another great day had by all, street artists on form and all bars etc. joined in the fun, put in your diary for next... more travel advice
geordieontour's Related Pages
Tynemouth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "At the mouth of the Tyne"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tynemouth
- Hotels in Tynemouth
- Transportation in Tynemouth
- Nightlife in Tynemouth
- Restaurants in Tynemouth
- Shopping in Tynemouth
- Warnings and Dangers in Tynemouth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tynemouth
- 22 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Tynemouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tynemouth
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tynemouth Intro, 22 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Balearic Islands Intro, 9 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 5 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lloret de Mar Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portugal Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Crete Island Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sousse Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos