"Namche, centre of the Khumbu region." Namche Bazar by halfbeat

Namche Bazar Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 46 photos

Its a long climb up!!!

Day 2 of my trek was the climb from Phakding at about 2600m, up to Namche bazar at about 3500m.
The walk started with a couple of hours of relatively flat going up to where i stopped for lunch in Jorsale. Then the climb started up to Namche... it seemed to go on forever!!! I started to notice a difference in oxygen levels about half way up, i just could not get my breath back like normal... i was having to stop repeatedly rather than just slow down a bit. I read in a couple of books before i got to Nepal that this climb was hard, but to be careful and not exhaust yourself too much because of the danger of altitude sickness..... there was no fear of that happening at the speed i was walking!!!! Not long before we reached Namche, it clouded over... i was amazed how quick the temperature dropped..... it was suddenly freezing!
just before Namche was where i had to have my Sagarmartha national park permit checked by the Military. They had a quick chat with my guide.... had a joke about me too i think, struggling up the mountain.... its easy for them!!! they live there!!!
20 minutes or so later i saw Namche..... that was a sight for sore eyes, i can tell you!
Trust my trekking guide to pick the highest lodge in Namche!!!!!
After the long climb up into Namche, which was damn hard work, i ask him which lodge we are staying in.... he points and says "that one".... i say "this one here?".... he replies... "no, that one right up there"

Typical!!!!!!!

Around the village.

After that little dip in moral, i finally got going again. Walking up through the village was enjoyable. Lots of people around, mostly locals though. A few trekkers milling around the shops and hotels. Yaks lumbering up and down the paths too! Very calm animals, but even so... i wouldn't want to mess with one if it was tearing down a trail, out of control.
Spotted a couple of internet places, a cafe with pool tables, lots of shops selling the usual trekking gear... souvenirs... food and drink and pharmacuticals aswell. I think you can get pretty much most of what you may need here in Namche.... although it is more expensive than Kathmandu if your thinking of buying anything expensive e.g. a down jacket.
I think i saw a dentist and a post office, although neither appeared to be open. I was not there in peak season though, february is always quiet i was led to believe by my guide.
After i had rested up for the night, I spent the next day in and around Namche acclimatising. Got up late, had breakfast, went out for a hike to see Everest for the first time as the view point on the way up yesterday was clouded over. Surprise... after 20 minutes walk, we round the corner of the valley to see Everest... its clouded over again!!!! Better luck tomorrow i hope! We carried on hiking, up towards Khumjung. Saw the Everest view hotel... nice place! Came back across Shyangboche airstrip.... i wouldn't want to land there, i can tell you. On the way back through the village, we stopped off at the Gompa (Tibetan buddhist temple). It was empty, no monks at home. It was still possible to get into part of the building though, it was a peaceful place to sit for 5 minutes and just think about things. By this time in the afternoon, the Tibetan market (held every saturday) had all but finished, a few people still seemed to be buying and selling, but i think most had packed up their yak's and started on the journey back to where they came from.
When i got back to the lodge, i met up with the two Aussie lads i met on the way out from Delhi when i first flew into Nepal. They started the trek a day behind me, so we crossed paths a couple of times. I didn't feel so bad about being so slow on the trek up to Namche when i found out one of them had to be carried the last part. Anyway, that evening was good fun in the lodge, and it was nice to have made some new friends in such a wonderful place!

Off to Tengboche.

Day 4 now of my trek... another pretty big climb up to Tengboche now waiting for me.
First though... will Everest be cloud free for my first view of the peak when we round the valley out of Namche again??????

I had my fingers crossed as we got near the end of the valley.... "please be visible" !!!

Happy days!!! There it is.. my first view of Everest, and its a fantastic sight to see finally!

• Pros:Plenty of shops to pick up anything you may have forgotten. Wonderful people and a fantastic spiritual atmosphere!
  • Cons:Oxygen gets a bit thinner on the way up. Dogs can be noisy at night. Altitude sickness can be a problem from this height.
  • Last visit to Namche Bazar: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 13, 2006

halfbeat

“Never enough time!”

Badges & Stats in Namche Bazar

Have you been to Namche Bazar?

Friends